One course of at least 3 credits in a language other than English. This requirement is also considered satisfied for students who have:
- demonstrated competency in a language other than English, including languages not currently offered for formal instruction at this university; or
- passed a Regents “Checkpoint B” Examination or a Regents-approved equivalent in a foreign language, with a score of 85 or above; or
- completed three or more years of a foreign language in high school with a course grade in the third year of 85, or B, or better; or
- earned a score of 530 or better on an SAT II Subject Test in a foreign language.
Learning Objectives for Foreign Language
Students will demonstrate:
- proficiency in the understanding and use of fundamental elements of a foreign language;
- knowledge of distinctive features of the culture(s) associated with the language they are studying.