Departmental Advice to Transfer Students
Welcome to the Sociology major at the University at Albany.
Sociology majors undertake a variety of challenging courses. The curriculum offers breadth and flexibility, facilitating student choice to tailor coursework to individual interests and goals. The coursework we offer is supplemented by a variety of other options-- including internships, independent study, and an honors program-- that enable students to further explore their interests. Over the years our graduates have gone on to law school, business and industry, medical school, and government employment at the federal, state, and local levels, And, of course, some go on to graduate school in sociology and related disciplines.
The MAP (Major Academic Pathway) shows how the Sociology major might be completed in four years. As a transfer student it is important for you to use your Degree Audit Report (DARS) to determine what you’ve already completed and what is left for you to finish at Albany. As you do this, please consider the following information that we have found to be important to transfer students:
- Admission coursework: The following courses must be completed in order to become/remain a Sociology major:
Students who transfer in having completed ASOC 115 should plan to take both Soc 220 and Soc 235 in their first semester.
Sociology majors are required to complete a minor. Click here for the complete list and requirements of UAlbany minors.
Our recommendation for your first semester:
- Take 1-2 SOC admission courses, as needed
- Add 1-2 other SOC courses, for a maximum of 3 SOC courses for the semester.
- Select 1-2 General Education courses in accordance with your DARS-identified needs.
- Select 1 course in your minor
- Add an elective if needed to bring your credit total to 15.
On-Line Registration Process
- You are advised to complete and submit your Educational Plan as soon as possible, to maximize access to available seats. The plan does not have to be perfect or final.
- Your Educational Plan will be reviewed by a member of the Sociology faculty who will contact you by email with comments or questions. When your proposal is approved, you will receive an email and this message will include your AVN (Advisement Verification Number). You can expect to receive this by email within two weeks after receipt of your proposal. Please be sure to check your UAlbany email account. Your AVN will give you access to the registration system.
Contact Advisement Services Center 442-3960 or ITS Help Desk (442-3700).
Students are advised by individual faculty members, to assist them in using the program to address their needs and pursue their goals. Your course work is challenging and we encourage regular meetings with your academic advisor to discuss your program of study. Check MYUAlbany to find your Sociology advisor’s name – you can expect this information to appear within two weeks after you register for classes online.