Departmental Advice to Transfer Students
Welcome to the Psychology major at the University at Albany. As a Psychology major, you have the opportunity to take challenging coursework covering the fundamentals of development, personality, social psychology, abnormal psychology, learning, motivation, and biopsychology-behavioral neuroscience, as well as foundation courses in Statistics for Psychology (APSY 210) and Experimental Psychology (APSY 211). Special opportunities/facilities in our department include directed research and state of the art laboratories. Our graduates have gone on to pursue successful careers in the helping professions and have pursued graduate degrees in a range of academic fields.
The MAP (Major Academic Pathway) shows how the Psychology major might be completed in four years. As a transfer student it is important for you to use yourDegree Audit Report (DARS) to determine what you’ve already completed and what is left for you to finish at Albany. As you do this, please consider the following information that we have found to be important to transfer students:
- Admission coursework: The following courses must be completed with a grade of C- or better in order to become/remain a Psychology major.
- APSY 101
- APSY 210
- APSY 211
- Admission grade point average: You must have a GPA of 2.5 in all UAlbany Psychology courses upon completion of admission courses in order to become/remain a Psychology major.
- Sequenced courses: The following courses must be taken in sequence and cannot be completed in the same semester.
- APSY 210 (Must be taken your first semester at UAlbany)
- APSY 211 (Must be taken in your second semester at UAlbany. If you already have credit for APSY 210 upon entry to UAlbany, then APSY 211 must be taken your first semester here.)
- Psychology majors must complete a minor. For a list of minors and the courses required to complete them, click here.
- During your first semester, we advise you to take no more than 2-3 Psychology courses. To round out your schedule, please plan to take courses in your minor, general education and/or electives.
- For detailed information about the requirements to complete the major, please visit our departmental web page.
We look forward to reviewing your academic plan. Advisors in our department are available by appointment for additional consultation if necessary. Please call 518-442-4865 or e-mail email@example.com.
Please note that you are required to attend a Transfer Planning conference at which you will receive your Advisement Verification Number (AVN.) Your AVN will allow you to access the online registration system.