Getting Registered for Classes
Welcome to the Philosophy major at the University at Albany.
Philosophy offers a general major that provides students with a background in the history of philosophy (e.g. Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Hume), as well as in values and logic related courses. In pursuing philosophy, students develop their ability to solve problems, communicate effectively, and organize ideas. Philosophy majors are successfully employed in many different areas of the private sector and government service—as managers, administrators, journalists, etc.—wherever a liberal education combining analytical skills with breadth of perspective is valued. Holders of the bachelor’s degree in philosophy obtain jobs held by liberal arts graduates in newspapers, government, management, law, and computer-connected businesses.
The MAP (Major Academic Pathway) shows how the Philosophy major might be completed in four years. As a transfer student it is important for you to use your Degree Audit Report (DARS) to determine what you’ve already completed and what is left for you to finish at Albany. As you do this, please consider the following information that we have found to be important to transfer students:
- Required coursework: The following courses must be completed in order to complete the Philosophy major: Phi 110/111, Phi 210, Phi 212, Phi 310, 312.
- PHI 310 and PHI 312 are normally taken in the student's junior year. PHI 310 is always and only offered in the fall; PHI 312 is always and only offered in spring. Be sure to consult your degree audit for the range of remaining PHI credits needed to complete the major.
- Minors: Philosophy majors are required to complete a minor. Click here for the complete list and requirements of UAlbany minors. Declare your minor as soon as possible, since you must complete a minor for a bachelor's degree at UAlbany (unless you have more than one major). If you are still unsure about what to choose, try taking an introductory class in a discipline you are considering—trying it out, so to speak, so you can make an informed decision later on.
- To declare your minor, please call Advisement Services at 518-442-3960.
Our recommendation for your first semester:
- Take 1-2 PHI required courses, as needed
- Add 1-2 other PHI courses, for a maximum of 3 PHI courses for the semester.
- Select 1-2 General Education courses in accordance with your DARS-identified needs.
- Select 1 course in your minor
- Add an elective if needed to bring your credit total to 15.
ON-LINE REGISTRATION PROCESS
- Please complete and submit your Educational Plan as soon as possible, to maximize access to available seats. The plan does not have to be perfect or final.
- Your Educational Plan will be reviewed by a member of the Philosophy faculty who will contact you by email with comments or questions. When your proposal is approved, you will receive an email and this message will include your AVN (Advisement Verification Number). You can expect to receive this by email within two weeks after receipt of your proposal. Please be sure to check your UAlbany email account. Your AVN will give you access to the registration system.