Make arrangements to take the MCAT if you have not done so already. Continue to prepare for the test. **Please release your MCAT scores to the UAlbany pre-health advisor.**
2. Centralized Applications
This is the PRIMARY application. Access the AMCAS (MD schools) and/or AACOMAS (DO schools) application on the web. YOU must submit the application(s) online. **Read the instructions prior to beginning the application(s)! Please release your application information to the UAlbany pre-health advisor.**
AMCAS: application opens ~ May 3, 2016; you may begin submitting ~ June 7, 2016
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/ (Data Submitted to medical schools on June 24, 2016)
AACOMAS: application opens ~ May 4, 2016 (12 noon);
*If you are applying to a medical school in the state of Texas, then you must complete and submit the TMDSAS: http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/
NOTE: If you have not yet taken the MCAT, we highly recommend that you spend the bulk of your time and energy on MCAT preparation. Schools do not take a serious look at your application without an MCAT score. That being said, you want to apply early (for your own piece of mind if nothing else!). An August submission is a good goal.
3. Official Transcripts
- Make arrangements to have your official transcript sent from the UAlbany Registrar’s Office directly to AMCAS/AACOMAS. There is a request letter available on AMCAS/AACOMAS. This request can be made online through myUAlbany. AMCAS/AACOMAS will use the official transcript to verify your application. The pre-health advising office DOES NOT send out transcripts. Please see the Registrar’s Office website for more details: http://www.albany.edu/registrar/transcripts.html
- AP and IB credits are not identified on your official transcript as particular courses. They will be identified by the number of credits only (i.e. transfer credits: 7). If you have AP or IB credit that you want to use to fulfill some of your pre-requisites (i.e. AMAT 112 or AENG 121), you can request that the Registrar’s Office writes a letter attachment to your official transcript that verifies that you have 4 credits of AMAT 112 and 3 credits of AENG 121, etc (whatever the AP credits are).
- If you have transfer work, you must also have transcripts sent directly from each institution you’ve attended (even University in the High School credit).
- The COURSEWORK section of the application requires you to list every college course ever taken. We recommend that you request an official transcript(s) for your own personal use to fill out this section. Be as error free as possible to avoid problems in verifying your application later.
4. Letters of Recommendation and Committee Evaluation
In addition to the committee evaluation, the Pre-health advising office will also send the individual letters of recommendation in your pre-health file. We DO NOT send resumes or personal statements (you will be asked for this info in another part of the application).
NOTE: The medical schools ask for letters of recommendation AFTER you have submitted your AMCAS or AACOMAS online and you have begun to get requests for secondary/supplemental applications from the individual medical schools.
- AMCAS: There are 3 types of Letters of Evaluation that can be submitted on your behalf in AMCAS. Most folks will either be submitting Committee Letters or Letter Packets. In both cases, please use Kimberly Kerker’s contact information (see below) for the primary contact/author.
- Committee Letter: Choose this if you interviewed with the pre-health advisory committee and we wrote you a committee evaluation. We will upload all of the additional letters of recommendation from your pre-health file along with the committee letter as one PDF file.
- Letter Packet: Choose this if you DID NOT interview with the pre-health committee but we have letters of recommendation in your pre-health file in the Advisement Services Office. We will upload all of the letters in your file as one PDF document.
- Individual Letter: An individual letter refers only to a letter authored by, and representing, a single letter writer. These are letters that you will be arranging to be sent to AMCAS on your own and are not part of the committee letter or letter packet.
- AACOMAS: On the "Evaluations page, click the blue "Create Evaluation Request" button to add a reference. Enter Kimberly Kerker (firstname.lastname@example.org) and assign a deadline by which you would like the reference completed. We encourage applicants to select a date which is at least four weeks in advance of your earliest deadline. You also must include a personal message. Select your waiver decision. Once you save this information, an email is immediately sent to Kimberly Kerker at the email address you provided. Confirm with her that she has received the notification.
NOTE FOR DO SCHOOL APPLICANTS: Most of the osteopathic medical schools strongly recommend, if not require, a letter of recommendation from a physician. In many cases, they require a letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician. It is in your best interest to have a letter of recommendation from an MD/DO as part of your pre-health file. Check school-specific requirements to make sure that you have the proper letters of recommendation for each school.
5. Requesting Your Letters of Recommendation to be uploaded to AMCAS and AACOMAS
Once you’ve begun to get requests for secondary/supplemental applications, email Kimberly Kerker (email@example.com) with the following information in order for your letters to be uploaded:
- AAMC ID
- AMCAS Letter ID (if applying MD)
- AACOMAS ID (if applying DO)
- List of ALL schools to which you are applying.
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure that we have ALL of the letters that you want sent in your pre-health file when you contact us. We can only upload your letter packet once. If you obtain additional letters after we submit your letters, it is your responsibility to get the letters to the medical schools.
6. Sending Letters of Recommendation to Schools that do not use AMCAS or AACOMAS.
Some Caribbean and off shore medical schools may not use AMCAS or AACOMAS. In order for us to send your letters to offshore schools, you need to provide us with an 8.5 X 11 inch manila envelope, addressed to each school, with 3 stamps to cover postage and we will send paper copies of your letters directly.
7. Some Last Thoughts
- Read carefully the application instructions for both AMCAS/AACOMAS. FAQ and HELP sections are extremely useful when you have questions about the application. Please see these sections first before contacting us.
- Early submission is good, but Error Free is better. Be complete and accurate in your application.
- Before submitting, print out the application to double check your data. If there are mistakes, the medical schools will see them!
- Log back into the application periodically to check on your application status.
- Keep your contact information up to date with AMCAS/AACOMAS and Advisement Services.
- Know your deadlines and keep track of them!
8. Contact Information
Advisement Services Center
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222
Advisement Services Center
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222