University at Albany, State University of New York
Contact UAlbany Directories Calendars & Schedules Visitors Site Index Search
Admissions Academics Research IT Services Libraries Athletics
Bulletin Homepage
General Information
Academic Information
Honors College
College of Arts & Sciences
School of Business
College of Computing & Information
School of Criminal Justice
School of Education
International Education
College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering
Project Renaissance
School of Public Health
Nelson A. Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy
School of Social Welfare
University-Wide Programs
Undergraduate Study
Undergraduate Resources & Services
Faculty Awards

Undergraduate Bulletin 2009-2010

Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid administers federal, state, and certain institutional student financial assistance programs for undergraduate and graduate students. These programs include the Federal Stafford Loan, PLUS Loan, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal ACG and SMART Grants, Federal Work-Study, the New York State Tuition Assistance Program, the Educational Opportunity Program, and University at Albany Benevolent Association Scholarships. The Office of Financial Aid is located in the Campus Center, Room G26, (518) 442-3202.

The Office of Financial Aid is committed to assisting students and their families meet the cost of attending the University. The following information is provided to ensure that students who apply for assistance understand the financial aid programs available and the application procedures.

Most student financial assistance is awarded on the basis of financial need. The cost of attendance is an estimate of the student’s direct and indirect educational expenses for an academic year. Direct expenses are tuition, fees, room and meals for students who live on campus and only tuition and fees for students living off campus. The budgets also include allowances for estimated expenses for books and supplies, personal items, transportation, and living expenses for off-campus students. The following are examples of two budgets used to determine eligibility during the 2009-2010 academic year:

Cost of Attendance 2009-2010


Dependent Student

Living On Campus

Independent Student

Living Off Campus

 Tuition and Fees*  $6,748  $6,748
 Room and Board*  $10,238  NA
 Living Expenses  NA  $9,750
 Books  $1,600  $1,600
 Personal/Travel  $1,142  $1,204
 Total  $19,728  $19,302
 *Institutional charges subject to change every year    
 *Out-of-state tuition is an additional $7,900 for full-time undergraduate students.    

The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is computed from the information students and, if applicable, their families provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA may be completed online at The EFC is available on the Student Aid Report (SAR) sent to applicants after the FAFSA has been processed by the federal processor.

Application Procedure


The Office of Financial Aid has established April 15, 2009 as the 2009-10 deadline for submission of the FAFSA. Students should meet this filing deadline for priority consideration of financial aid.

New Students

New students must be accepted for admission to the University prior to being considered for financial aid. In order to receive priority consideration for financial aid, students entering for the fall term should apply by March 15 of that year. Students wishing to apply for financial aid should submit the following forms:

1. The FAFSA is the only form that initially must be submitted to be considered for financial assistance at the University. Students who file the FAFSA online ( will be able to apply for a New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) award at the same time. The FAFSA should be completed as soon as possible after January 1 regardless of whether or not the applicant has heard from the Admissions Office. The Office of Financial Aid will begin making awards to new students accepted for admission beginning in March. Awards are made on a rolling basis throughout the spring and summer as financial aid files become complete.

2. New York State residents should complete the Express TAP Application (ETA). The Express TAP Application serves as an application form to receive New York State financial assistance. When students file the FAFSA form electronically, they may link directly to NYSHESC to complete the Express Tap Application. If not, students will need to complete the ETA at

3. New students who have accepted a Federal Stafford Loan will receive, by mail, instructions to complete the Electronic Master Promissory Note (e-MPN) from the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (NYSHESC). Students will need to complete the e-MPN and loan entrance counseling. Information about these processes can be found at under “Student Quick Links”.

Returning Students

The FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA must be filed annually. The deadline for submitting the form in order to receive priority consideration for aid is April 15th of each year. New York State residents who receive TAP may be required to submit an ETA each year.

Summer Study

Students who plan to attend summer sessions at the University at Albany are eligible to receive financial aid. In order to be considered for aid students must have filed the FAFSA for the upcoming academic year and the University at Albany Summer Information Sheet, which is available online at around April 1st every year.

Study Abroad

Students who plan to participate in a SUNY Study Abroad program are eligible to receive financial aid. No special application is necessary, but students are required to submit a letter of acceptance into a Study Abroad program along with an estimate of program costs. Students who plan to participate in a program at an institution outside the SUNY system will be required to submit, in addition, a consortium agreement (available from the Office of Financial Aid) and a transfer credit permission form (available from academic advisors). 

Visiting Students

Visiting students not matriculated at the University are not eligible for financial aid from this institution.

Financial Aid Awards

1. If you have been awarded Federal Work-Study, a Federal Perkins Loan, and/or a Federal Subsidized/Unsubsidized Stafford Loan for the 2009-2010 aid year, you must log onto MyUAlbany to accept, decline, or reduce the amounts of the awards. Please refer to the instructions on the financial aid website at

2. Financial aid is awarded on an annual basis and students must reapply each year by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Financial aid awards may vary each year based on the student's financial need and available funds.

3. If requested, students, and, if dependent, their families, should be prepared to submit income and other documentation that may be requested by the Office of Financial Aid. Federal financial aid will not be credited to your account, and may be cancelled, if we do not receive the required verification information. Do not send any documentation unless it has been requested by this office.

4. Typically, one-half of any financial aid received by a student is credited to the student's account ten days prior to the beginning of each semester or when funds become available.

5. Students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress towards their degrees in order to continue receiving financial aid. Under certain circumstances, students may be granted a waiver of the progress requirements.

6. Amounts of aid from sources outside the University are estimates, and are based on the best information available to us. They do not represent a guarantee of these funds by the University.

7. Students must inform the Financial Aid Office of aid/scholarships from any source outside of the University. Please send a copy of the official notification letter to our office. Please be sure to provide your name and Albany ID on the notification. Federal regulations may require an adjustment be made to the financial aid package.

8. All students planning to receive Federal Perkins Loans or Federal Stafford Loans must complete a loan entrance counseling prior to the first disbursement of loan proceeds. Stafford Loan entrance counseling can be completed on the Mapping Your Future website. Perkins Loan recipients should follow online instructions found under "Student Quick Link" on the financial aid website:

9. Students whose family financial circumstances are adversely affected after being awarded financial aid should submit a letter explaining your situation and documentation to the Office of Student Financial Services/Financial Aid for review.  Please use the "Special Circumstances" form under the Forms and Publications link on the financial aid website:

10. Students who wish to question a decision made by the Office of Financial Aid should send a letter of appeal to the Director of Financial Aid. 

Institutional Aid

The University offers a number of merit scholarships to undergraduate students. The Presidential, Frederick Douglass, Achievement as well as the New York State Valedictorian and Salutatorian scholarships are awarded to new students by the Undergraduate Admissions Office and renewed by the Office of the Undergraduate Dean. Eligibility requirements and award amounts vary. Undergraduate students who have been awarded merit scholarships will have received information about the awards from the Office of Admissions. Athletic Scholarships are awarded by the Department of Athletics and Recreation.

State Financial Aid

Academic Criteria for State Awards

1. You must be matriculated in an eligible degree program at the beginning of your course of study. In addition, to be considered matriculated for State financial aid purposes, the New York State Education Department requires that the student declare a major no later than the beginning of the junior year if enrolled in a baccalaureate program.

2. You must be enrolled full-time (twelve or more credits) by the TAP certification date, which is the date by which the student would have incurred full tuition liability for the term. Courses added after the certification date do not count towards full-time status.

3. Students who are disabled as defined by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and are attending part-time (at least three credits per semester) can be certified for a part-time TAP award for any approved term. Students with disabilities must still meet all other TAP eligibility requirements.  In addition, students must be able to document that they are disabled as defined by the ADA by registering with the UAlbany Disability Resource Center.

4. Repeated Courses: Courses in which the student has already received a passing grade cannot be included in meeting full-time study requirements for state-sponsored financial aid. Repeated courses may be counted toward full-time study requirements if a student repeats a failed course, if a student repeats the course for additional credit, or when a student has received a grade that is passing at the institution but is unacceptable in a particular curriculum.

5. High School Graduation Requirement: To be eligible for any state-sponsored grant or scholarship award, students who first receive aid in academic year 2007-08 and thereafter must have a U.S. high school diploma or recognized equivalent, or earn a passing score on a federally approved ability-to-benefit test identified by the NYS Board of Regents and independently administered and evaluated as provided by the NYS Commissioner of Education

6. When Students' Eligibility Is Assessed: Students must meet citizenship, residency, high school graduation and good academic standing requirements as of the first day of classes for a particular term to be certified as eligible for an award for that term.

Students must meet matriculation requirements, approved program requirements, full-time study requirements and tuition liability requirements some time between the first day of classes and the certification status date for a particular term to be certified for an award for that term.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

In order to retain eligibility for New York State scholarship and grant awards, students must be in "good academic standing", which is comprised of two components: "satisfactory academic progress" and "pursuit of program" (POP). 

In order to make satisfactory progress towards a degree, students must accrue graduation credits each semester and have the cumulative grade point average shown on the academic progress chart in this section. Although the academic progress standards allow ten semesters for completion of a bachelor's degree, the maximum award period at the undergraduate level is four years, except for students enrolled in approved five-year degree programs or the Educational Opportunity Program.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Chart - New York State Grant and Scholarship Programs

Before being certified for a semester's payment, a student must have accrued a certain number of credits and have a minimum grade point average at the end of the semester, as shown in the following chart.

Payment Credits Minimum GPA POP
First 0 0.00 0
Second 3 1.10 6
Third 9 1.20 6
Fourth 21 1.30 9
Fifth 33 2.00 9
Sixth 45 2.00 12
Seventh 60 2.00 12
Eighth 75 2.00 12
Ninth 90 2.00 12
Tenth 105 2.00 12

Program Pursuit: In addition to meeting the criteria outlined on the academic progress chart, State regulations require students who receive New York State awards to be enrolled on a full-time basis and complete a minimum number of credits each semester with grades of A, B, C, D, E, S, or U. Students receiving a New York State award for the first time must complete six credits each semester the first year of receipt of an award, nine credits each semester of the second year, and a minimum of twelve credits in semester of the third and fourth years.

Students who do not complete the minimum number of credits in a given semester are ineligible for New York State financial aid for the following term or until additional credits are completed to reach the minimum level. Grades of I must be completed within one semester to have the credits counted for New York State grant and scholarship purposes.

Loss of Good Academic Standing: Students who lose good academic standing in a term when they received a state grant or scholarship are not eligible for an award for the next term.

Reinstatement of Good Academic Standing: Students who have lost good academic standing may restore this standing in one of the following ways: make up past academic deficiencies by completing one or more terms of study without receiving any state grants or scholarships; be readmitted to school after an absence of at least one year; transfer to another school, be granted a waiver.

One-Time Waiver: New York State Commissioner of Education regulations permit students to receive a one-time waiver of the good academic standing requirement. The waiver is not automatic, and may only be granted in extraordinary or unusual circumstances which are beyond the control of the student. There must be a reasonable expectation that the student will meet future requirements. To request a one-time waiver, students must submit a completed one-time waiver application along with appropriate supporting statements and documentation. One-time waiver applications are available in the Student Services Center.

C Average Requirement: Students who have received the equivalent of two or more full years of state-funded student financial aid must have and maintain a cumulative GPA of C (2.0 on a 4.0 grading scale) or better to be eligible for continued state-funded assistance. Cumulative GPA for readmitted students who have previously attended UAlbany (including University in High School) is based on prior grades at UAlbany. Students who are denied an award for failing to achieve a cumulative GPA of C can regain award eligibility by completing appropriate coursework, without state support, to achieve a cumulative GPA of C. Students cannot regain eligibility by remaining out of school for a period of time.

Waiver of the C Average Requirement: The C average requirement may be waived for undue hardship based on the death of a student’s relative; or the student’s personal illness or injury; or other extenuating circumstances. To request a C average waiver, students must submit a completed waiver application along with appropriate supporting documentation. C average waiver applications are available in the Student Services Center.

New York State Grant and Scholarship Programs

1. Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
This grant program for New York State residents who are full-time undergraduate students currently provides for annual awards ranging from $500 to $4995. Awards are based on the family's New York State net taxable income. 

Undergraduate students may receive TAP for four years of full-time study. Students enrolled in approved five-year programs or in State sponsored opportunity programs may receive undergraduate aid for five years. First-time freshmen in academic year 2006-07 and thereafter may be eligible to receive a part-time TAP award for 6-11 credits. Students must have earned 12 credits in each of two consecutive terms at a non-profit NYS degree granting institution and must have a cumulative 2.0 GPA.

2. Veterans Tuition Awards
This program provides financial assistance to help Vietnam Veterans, Persian Gulf Veterans and Afghanistan Veterans studying on either a full-time or part-time basis meet tuition charges. In order to be eligible for this award, a student must have served in the United States armed forces in Indochina between December 22, 1961 and May 7, 1975; or in the Persian Gulf from August 2, 1990 to the end of such hostilities; or in the Afghanistan hostilities between September 11, 2001 and the cessation of hostilities; and been discharged from the service under other than dishonorable conditions. The student must establish eligibility by submitting a Veterans Tuition Award (available in the Student Services Center or by contacting the NYS Higher Education Services Corporation) and documentation of eligible veteran status (Form DD214). Full-time awards are $1,000 per semester, and part-time awards are $500 per semester or tuition, whichever is less. The total of all awards received cannot exceed $10,000.

3. Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans
New York State residents who are children of certain deceased or disabled veterans will receive $450 per year, regardless of need, to attend institutions within New York State. Applications are available from high schools or the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation. Questions should be referred to your high school guidance counselor.

4. Memorial Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased Police Officers and Firefighters
This award provides financial assistance to the children and spouses of deceased police officers, firefighters, and volunteer firefighters who served in New York State and died of injuries sustained in the line of duty. Recipients must be full-time undergraduate students. Those attending SUNY institutions will receive scholarships that equal actual tuition and room and board costs plus an allowance for books, supplies and transportation. The scholarship is reduced by any federal Pell Grant or other federal or state-funded scholarships or grants. Applications and more information are available from the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation.

5. State Aid to Native Americans
Applications and additional information about this program are available from the Native American Education Unit, New York State Education Department, Albany, New York 12234. Applicants must be a member or the child of a member of one of the Native American Tribes in New York State, be a State resident attending an institution within the State, and have graduated from high school or earned a General Equivalency Diploma. The award is $1,750 per year for up to five years of full-time study. Students registered for less than full-time study will receive approximately $75 for each credit hour.

6. Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Grant
New York State students who are educationally and economically disadvantaged are admitted to the University's Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) on the basis of their prospects for academic success. The University's program enrolls more than 650 new and continuing students each year. An applicant must be: (1) a New York State resident; and (2) academically disadvantaged according to definitions promulgated by the State University; and (3) economically disadvantaged according to guidelines approved by the Board of Regents and the Director of the Budget. Selection of eligible applicants is made by University at Albany personnel in accordance with the New York State regulations that govern the program. The amount of financial assistance provided to eligible EOP participants is dependent on financial need as determined by the University and availability of funds.

7. Regents Professional Opportunity Scholarships
These scholarships provide up to $5,000 to New York State residents studying in certain fields leading to licensure in a profession approved by the Regents of the State of New York. Recipients must agree to practice their profession in New York State for at least one year. Preference is given to economically disadvantaged students belonging to a minority group underrepresented in the professions. More information is available from the New York State Education Department, Bureau of Higher Education Testing. 

8. Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)
This program provides tuition assistance to undergraduate New York State residents matriculated in a degree program and enrolled for three to eleven credits per semester. The family New York State taxable income cannot exceed $50,550 in the case of dependent students and $34,250 if the student is independent. Award amounts are determined by the Office of Financial Aid and cannot exceed tuition charges. Applications and additional information are available from the Student Services Center.

9. New York National Guard Educational Incentive Program
Members in good standing of the New York State Army or Air National Guards or New York State Naval Militia may receive scholarships of up to the average SUNY tuition rate to attend any SUNY or CUNY institutions, any New York community colleges or designated independent colleges. The recipients must also be New York State residents who are matriculated students in good standing enrolled on at least a half-time basis. All recipients must apply for Tuition Assistance Program awards and federal Pell Grants. Additional information about the program is available from National Guard unit commanders.

10. Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship
This competitive federal honors program provides for scholarships of up to $1,500 per year to academically talented high school students who are New York residents. It is renewable for up to four years. Minimum eligibility criteria are a high school average of 95 and combined SAT scores of 1250 from the same test administration.

11. New York State Scholarships for Academic Excellence
This program provides renewable scholarship assistance in the amount of $500 or $1,500 to New York residents attending an institution within the State. Recipients are selected by the NYS Education Department.

12. Americorps Education Award
New York residents participating in an Americorps program on a full-time basis (1700 hours of community service) will receive an education award of $4,725 and may be eligible to receive a living allowance, health insurance, and childcare. Part-time members who complete 900 hours of service earn an education award of $2,623 and in some cases may receive a living allowance.

13. Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarship
This scholarship is sponsored by the New York State Lottery and is applicable only to tuition charges. It provides awards of $1,000 per year for four years of undergraduate study. Potential recipients are nominated by their high schools on the basis of academic performance, participation in extracurricular and community activities, and leadership skills.
14. World Trade Center Scholarship
This award provides financial assistance to the children, spouses, and financial dependents of deceased or severely and permanently disabled victims of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks or the subsequent rescue and recovery operations. Undergraduates who are full-time matriculated students enrolled in an approved program in New York and meet requirements for New York State grants and scholarships are eligible. Recipients need not be New York State residents or U.S. citizens to receive the scholarship. The award covers up to four years of full time undergraduate study and will pay SUNY tuition and mandatory fees, actual room and board charged to students living on campus or an allowance for these items for commuter students, and allowances for books, supplies, and transportation. The scholarship is reduced by any federal, state, or private assistance awarded to the student to pay educational expenses. Applications are available at

15.  NYS Volunteer Recruitment Service Scholarship
New York State offers scholarships to volunteer fire and volunteer ambulance companies to use as a recruitment and retention incentive for new members. Detailed eligibility information is available at Students should request an application supplement from their volunteer company official.

Federal Financial Aid

Academic Eligibility Criteria for Federal Awards

Federal regulations require students to make satisfactory progress towards a degree in order to receive any federal student aid, including Federal Stafford Loans. Students may attempt up to 150% of the credits normally required to complete a baccalaureate degree and retain eligibility for federal student aid. At the University at Albany students must have earned 120 graduation credits to receive a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree. Thus, students may attempt up to 180 credits and retain eligibility for federal student aid; however, students must also complete a percentage of credits attempted each year as shown on the academic progress chart. Transfer credits accepted by the University are considered to be attempted credits for this purpose.

In addition, students must maintain a satisfactory cumulative grade point average. Academic retention standards are described in the Undergraduate Academic Regulations section of this bulletin. Students on probation may be eligible to receive financial aid, but are subject to the University's policy regarding review and dismissal for academic reasons. Aid recipients on probation and those with less than a "C" average at the end of their second year of study or the equivalent will retain eligibility for aid if they meet the requirements shown on the academic progress chart and are allowed to continue their studies at the University.

Students who do not make satisfactory progress will begin a one-year probationary period during which they retain their eligibility for federal student aid. If subsequent to the probation period a student is not making satisfactory academic progress, federal financial eligibility is lost. Students may appeal to the University for a waiver if they feel there are special circumstances that affected their ability to make academic progress. Students receiving waivers continue to be eligible for federal financial aid for an additional semester or one academic year, depending on individual circumstances. Questions regarding academic progress should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid. 


Title IV Programs

If credits attempted are between: Then the following percentage of graduation credits must be completed:

 3-30  30%
 31-60  50%
 61-90  60%
 91-120  65%
 121-150  70%
 151-180  80%       

Quantitative progress towards the degree will be measured once each year, usually at the end of the academic year. Students may restore eligibility for federal aid when they meet the standards shown on the chart.


1. Federal Pell Grant Supplemental
This federal grant program provides assistance to matriculated undergraduate students who have demonstrated the highest calculated need as determined by the FAFSA. Award amounts will range from $976 to $5,350 for the 2009-2010 academic year.                

2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
Students receiving this type of assistance must have exceptional financial need. At the University at Albany, this grant normally ranges from $200 to $1,000 each year.

3.  Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG)
ACG provides up to $750 for the first year of undergraduate student and up to $1,300 for the second year of undergraduate student to all eligible Pell Grant recipients enrolled full time in a degree program. In order to be eligible, a student must have completed a rigorous high school program of study (after January 1, 2006 if a first-year student and after January 1, 2005 if a second-year student). First-year students may not have been previously enrolled in an undergraduate program. Second-year students must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 in addition to the criteria mentioned above to be eligible. The amount of the student’s ACG, in combination with the student’s other financial assistance, may not exceed the student’s demonstrated financial need. A student may not receive more than one ACG award for each academic year in which the student is eligible.

4.  National Science And Mathematics Access to Retain Talent Grant (National SMART Grant)
The SMART grant will provide up to $4,000 for each of the third and fourth years of undergraduate study to full-time, Pell eligible students majoring in specific fields of study as determined by the Department of Education. See the Financial Aid website ( for a list of eligible majors. In order to qualify, a student must be enrolled full-time in a degree program, have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in the coursework required for the student’s major, and be enrolled in at least one course related to the major during the semester for which the award is received. The amount of the student’s National SMART Grant, in combination with the student’s other financial assistance, may not exceed the student’s financial need. An eligible student may not receive more than one National SMART Grant award for each of the third and fourth academic years of study.

5. Federal Stafford Loan
These are low interest, long term loans avail able to matriculated students who are enrolled at least half-time. Students with need may obtain the loan on a subsidized basis, which means no interest accrues on the loan while the borrower is in school. Students who do not demonstrate financial need may obtain the loan on an unsubsidized basis, which means they must pay interest while they are in school as well as during repayment. This loan is made by banks, credit unions, and other lending organizations. First-year students may borrow up to $3,500, sophomores up to $4,500 and junior and seniors up to $5,500 each year. Independent students who are first-year students or sophomores may borrow an additional $4,000 each year on an unsubsidized basis, and an additional $5,000 each year as juniors or seniors. The maximum that may be borrowed for undergraduate study is $23,000 for dependent undergraduate and $46,000 for independent undergraduates. At the time the loan is disbursed, an insurance fee and origination fee may have been deducted by the lender from the face amount of the loan. The interest rate is fixed at 5.6% for subsidized undergraduate students and 6.8% for unsubsidized undergraduate students. 

Students who plan to borrow for the first time must complete a master promissory note (MPN). Students with an MPN on file may not need to file another.

6. Federal PLUS Loan
PLUS loans allow parents of dependent students to borrow from participating banks or other lenders up to the difference between the student's cost of attendance and any financial aid awarded to the student. The loan is not automatic; a credit check is required. Repayment of principal and interest begins within 60 days of receipt of the loan. The interest rate is fixed at 8.5%. A 3.0% origination fee and a 1% default fee are deducted from the loan proceeds. Parents should apply online through the Office of Student Financial Services/Financial Aid website at

7. Federal Perkins Loans
This loan is awarded to students with significant financial need. Undergraduate students may borrow up to $4,000 each year depending on availability of funds, and a total of $20,000 for undergraduate studies. Interest does not accrue and payments are not due on the loan during the in-school period. Repayment begins nine months after the student leaves school, and 5% simple interest is charged on the unpaid balance of the loan. Under certain conditions, all or part of amount borrowed may be canceled.

8. Federal Work Study Program
A Work-Study award provides employment opportunities for students with financial need. Students are employed by various campus administrative offices, academic departments, and community service agencies. Students are paid an hourly rate and receive paychecks every two weeks for hours worked. Students will have the opportunity to select which jobs they would like to apply for and submit their job applications online. Work-Study is an employment opportunity, not a guaranteed job.

9. Bureau of Indian Affairs to Native Americans Higher Education Assistance Program
Eligibility is restricted to students with financial need who are pursuing a four-year degree, are at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut and are enrolled members of a tribe, band or group recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs Office. Application must be made each year. In addition, first-time applicants must obtain tribal certification from the appropriate bureau agency or tribal office which records enrollment for the tribe.

10. Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP)
The Post-Vietnam Veteran's Educational Program (VEAP) is a benefit for veterans who paid into VEAP while they were in the service. In order to be eligible, veterans must have been discharged under conditions other than dishonorable, entered active duty after December 31, 1976 but before July 1, 1985, and completed twenty-four continuous months of active duty. There are some exceptions to the last requirement. Benefits are paid monthly and are based on the veteran's contributions and Veteran's Administration matching amounts in relation to the number of months contributions were made by the veteran, type of education being pursued, and the length of the educational program. Contact the Veterans Administration for additional information.

11. Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty
This program provides for up to thirty-six months of educational benefits to eligible veterans. Basic eligibility criteria are an honorable discharge and a high school diploma or GED. In addition, the veteran must meet the criteria set forth in one of three categories. These criteria are based on dates of active duty, length of service, and special requirements specific to each particular category. Detailed information is available from the Veterans Administration.

12. Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve
Selected Reserve educational benefits are available to members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves as well as the Army National Guard and the Air Guard. It is the first Veteran's Administration program that makes educational benefits available to reservists who have never served on active duty. Additional information about eligibility criteria and monthly benefit amounts is available from your Reserve or Guard unit.

13. Veteran's Administration Survivor's and Dependents' Educational Assistance
This education benefit is available to certain veterans' children who are at least eighteen years old, veterans' spouses, and surviving spouses who have not remarried. The veteran must be totally and permanently disabled from a service-related disability or died because of a service-related disability. Eligible persons can receive benefits for up to forty-five months. Additional information is available from the Veterans Administration.