Dalai Lama's Millenium Practice
The Dalai Lama has asked that the following practice be shared with as
many people as possible.
A group recently spent days visiting with the Dalai Lama focusing upon
what they believe are the five most important questions to be considered as
we move into the new millennium.
The five questions were:
1. How do we address the widening gap between rich and poor?
The Dalai Lama said all five questions fall under the last one. If we
have true compassion in our hearts, our children will be educated wisely,
will care for the earth, those who "have not" will be cared for.
2. How do we protect the earth?
3. How do we educate our children?
4. How do we help Tibet and other oppressed countries and peoples of the
5. How do we bring spirituality (deep caring for one another) through all
disciplines of life?
The group asked the Dalai Lama, "Do you think love on the planet is increasing
staying the same?" His response: "My experience leads me to believe that
love is increasing."
He shared a simple practice that will increase love and
compassion in the world. He asked everyone in the group to share it with
as many people as they can.
1. Spend 5 minutes at the beginning of each day remembering we all want
the same things (to be happy and to be loved) and we are all connected to
Will you commit to creating Peace in yourself and thereby "On Earth" by
spending 10 minutes a day with this simple meditation? Peace on Earth
Good Will To All...
2. Spend 5 minutes -- breathing in -- cherishing yourself; and, breathing
out cherishing others. If you think about people you have difficulty
cherishing,extend your cherishing to them anyway.
3. During the day extend that attitude to everyone you meet. Practice
cherishing the "simplest" person (clerks, attendants, etc.), as well as
the "important" people in your life; cherish the people you love and the
people you dislike.
4. Continue this practice no matter what happens or what anyone does
to you. These thoughts are very simple, inspiring and helpful. The
practice of cherishing can be taken very deep if done wordlessly, allowing
yourself to feel the love and appreciation that already exists in your
Not a season, It's a daily practice.
Please pass this on to as many people as you can.