(March 30, 2007)
UAlbany Welcomes Ukrainian Delegation
On Tuesday, leading higher education officials from the Ukraine visited the University at Albany on a tour that included the Cancer Research Center, the Ion Beam Lab, the Science Library, and the University Art Museum. They also met with senior administrators and with representatives from the Center for Women in Government and Civil Society, the Center for Legislative Development, and the Center for Technology in Government. The visit was arranged by SUNY Central Administration and by UAlbany's Office of International Education.
The delegation was welcomed to campus by Officer in Charge Susan Herbst at a dinner given in their honor Monday evening in the Standish Room. Led by Dr. Mikhail Stepko, deputy minister, Ministry of Education and Science, Ukraine, the delegation of 10 included key leaders from many of the Ukraine's major academic institutions. The whole group visited Hudson Valley Community College and the University at Albany, and then they split into three sub-delegations, each group going on to visit two or three other SUNY colleges.
In addition to Stepko, the group included:
- Dr. Svitlana Shmelova, advisor to the deputy minister
- Dr. Oleksandr Syodorenko, director, Consortium for the Enhancement of Ukrainian Management Education (CEUME)
- Dr. Oksana Kolyada, head of the Department of Economic Development Strategy, Open International University of Human Development, Ukraine
- Dr. Olena Golovkina, first vice rector, Yalta University of Management
- Dr. Sergiy Stepanenko, rector, Odessa State Environmental University
- Dr. Leonid Tovazhnyansky, rector, National Technical University, Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute
- Dr. Valeriy Kravets, vice rector for International Affairs, National Technical University, Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute
- Dr. Oleksander Golubenko, rector, East Ukrainian National University named after Volodymir Dal, and
- Dr. Ayder Ablyatypov, deputy minister, Ministry of Education and Science, Crimea.