CLEP Information

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations are developed, administered, and scored by the The College Board. For information about CLEP registration, scheduling, fees, and procedures, please contact:

College-Level Examination Program

Tranfer Equivalents

UAlbany approved CLEP equivalents: (Select College/Institution Name "College Level Examination Program.")

Policies on Accepting CLEP Credits

The primary purpose of the CLEP Program is to make it possible for an individual to earn college credit, or to satisfy college requirements for a license or a certificate or for job placement, on the basis of examinations.

The CLEP examinations are very useful for people whose learning experiences have taken place primarily outside the formal college classroom.

Students expressing interest in General or Subject Examinations, and who desire to know about the examinations should review this information. Although it is not a testing site, University at Albany currently will award credit and/or placement for Subject and General Examinations:

  • that are equivalent to courses currently acceptable for transfer to the University at Albany, and
  • on which the student has scored at or above the 50th percentile (i.e., equivalent to the grade of C).

Students seeking to gain CLEP credit should be aware that the three following restrictions apply:

  1. CLEP credit will not be awarded to students who have satisfactorily completed a course and then pass a CLEP examination covering substantially the same material.
  2. CLEP credit will not be awarded for CLEP examinations if the student has satisfactorily completed more advanced courses in the same field.
  3. CLEP credit is considered transfer credit, and it does not meet major, minor, or university residence requirements, nor can it be used to meet full-time enrollment status. A student will need to file a Transfer Credit Permission form (available through the Registrar's Office, CC-B25) in advance of registering for the test in order to ensure they will receive credit. The Transfer Credit Permission Form must be endorsed both by the student's adviser and the Office for Undergraduate Education.

Since the General Examinations and Subject Examinations are designed to test lower-division study, students who have completed either their sophomore year and/or 56 credits of undergraduate study cannot earn credits from either the General Examinations or the Subject Examinations.

Exceptions: Students seeking an exception to this policy must petition the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education . In that petition, the student must include an explicit recommendation from the academic department that grants the credits. In addition, the student must provide a compelling educational rationale detailing the reasons why an exception should be considered.