GI Bill Certification

How do I receive my GI Bill?

New Students

(Never received GI Bill benefits)

Transfer Students

(Previously received GI Bill benefits at another school)

Fill out VA Change form VA 22-1995 on the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) system.

If not already done, apply to UAlbany for degree or certificate

Current / Returning Students

The following steps must be completed each Semester

  • Provide the UAlbany Veteran Certifying Official (VCO) your completed

UAlbany Veterans Affairs Information Form (each term)

  • Verify attendance with the VA monthly
  • Notify the UAlbany VCO ( every semester once you have registered for classes
    • VCO certifies students every semester with the VA for the number of credits registered
    • If student does not contact the VCO at UAlbany he or she will not be certified for benefits with the VA

VA Forms

All forms can be submitted directly to the VA on the VA website

  • VA Form 22-1990 Initial Application for VA Educational Benefits/Application to elect Chapter 33
  • VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training - (for transfet students to change school info/update info/or personal info)
  • VA Form 22-5490 Initial Application for Survivors' and Dependents Educational Assistance (for spouse or dependent of military member or killed during active duty)
  • VA Form 22-5495 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training/Survivors and Dependents Education Assist

Verify enrollment with the VA at the end of each month either by using WAVE (Web Activated Verification of Enrollment) on the VA website

or by calling the IVR (Interactive Voice Response) phone line at 877-823-2378. Benefits checks will not be issued if student fails to verify with the VA each month during the term.

Post 9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33

  • Log onto VONAPP (veteran's on line application website)
  • Fill out VA form 22-1990 - submit form to VA - include copies of all DD214s
  • VA reviews application & issues Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
  • Submit copy of COE to VCO at UAlbany (located at the Student Financial Center (SFC), Campus Center, Room G26)
    • Chapter 33 benefits cannot be certified by school without COE
    • Tuition & Fees are issued directly to school at prorated amount based on students' benefit level
    • Monthly housing allowance is paid directly to student at prorated amount
    • Books & Supplies stipend is paid directly to student at prorated amount
    • Kicker/College Fund benefits (if qualified) are issued to student in addition to BAH

Special Notes

  • Once a student is certified for a school term by school - it can take 4-6 weeks to receive a check from the VA
  • Please contact the VA directly if you have not received your checks or have questions regarding your benefits at 888-442-4551
  • Check the VA website for payment rates and other information