Account Holds and Past Due Balances

Account Holds

There are several types of holds that can be assessed to your account. Students with unpaid financial obligations such as Tuition and Fees, Parking fines, Health Center fees, Residential Life room damage charges, lost SunyCard charges, and Library fines will have a financial hold placed on their account.  Additionally, holds can be placed for non-financial reasons.

Holds can prevent access to University services including registration for current and future term classes, transcripts, and diplomas. 

Please pay invoices by expected due dates to prevent financial holds.  Balances must be paid in full for financial holds to be removed.  Your hold will be removed automatically before the next business day after you pay your balance in full.

You should view your MyUAlbany account and specifically the section titled “Important Notices” to obtain more detailed information about any holds you may have.

Past Due Balances

The delinquent accounts unit of Student Accounts assists students who are no longer enrolled at the University but still have outstanding charges on their accounts. If you wish to discuss your balance or alternative payment arrangements, please contact our staff at (518) 442-3224 and (518) 442-2563.

What Happens to Unpaid Balances?

Unpaid charges result in holds on your account that prevent the release of transcripts, diplomas, future registration and other University services, and result in referral to outside collection agencies and the NYS Attorney General’s office. We encourage you to resolve your balance before referral to an agency or the NYS Attorney General’s office.

Balances sent to collection or to the NYS Attorney General’s office are subject to collection fees of 22% and interest. Click here to learn more about State Finance Law Section 18. This notice is sent to all students prior to any referral to a collection agency or the Attorney General’s office.

Once referred to collection, the University can no longer accept payment on campus for the balance.

If your account has already been referred to a collection agency or the NYS Attorney General’s office, you must contact that office to resolve your balance.

New York State Attorney General’s Office: (518) 776-2173

The University utilizes the following external collection agencies:

(800) 724-7500