MSW /Advising Resources Center

These resources are provided to assist you in understanding and completing the requirements of your MSW degree program (please consult your letter of admission regarding degree requirements).

While provided here for your convenience, these resources are not intended to replace the Graduate Faculty and Student Handbook or the discussions with your academic advisor.

Non-matriculated/ non-degree students interested in taking MSW courses? Click here.

Already have your MSW degree and interested in taking additional MSW courses? Please call for further information.

Key Links

Student and School of Social Welfare Assistant to the Dean Candi Griffin-Jenkins in a discussionOverall Program

  • Who is my Academic Advisor? Students will be assigned an academic advisor during their first semester as a matriculated MSW student. Prior to that time incoming degree program students should follow the instructions in their admissions packet from the School of Social Welfare. Your academic advisor, once assigned, will be listed within MyUAlbany. (, go to “Academics”, scroll down to “Academic Summary” and click on “Advisor Information” )
  • Field Advisement – Students must apply to enter field (applications are sent to students, and are also available online and in the Field Office, RI 116). Once accepted into field, students are assigned a faculty field liaison. The faculty field liaison is the student's consultant on matters pertaining to field, especially if difficulties are encountered. Students will receive a Field Manual detailing field procedures when they are assigned their first field agency. Please see: “Planning Ahead for Field”
  • SSW Part-time/Full-time status – Students are admitted to part-time or full-time study. Changing from one status to another may be possible depending on where a student is in their program of study and whether there is space available. Students considering changing from one status to another should consult their academic advisor. Questions about status for billing or financial aid purposes should be directed to the Office of Student Financial Services.
  • Degree clearance / “Graduate Degree Application” – those students requesting to graduate officially apply for the degree during their final semester, not later than the date provided on the Academic Calendar. Students apply on-line via MyUAlbany. (The University reviews all coursework of students applying for graduation, in order to verify whether requirements for the degree have indeed been met, before the degree can be awarded)
  • Social Work licensing information – Social work is one of the professions in New York affected by licensing requirements. The licensing of social work and other professions is regulated not by SSW but by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) Office of the Professions, which determines the answers to licensing questions. The SSW regularly invites the NYSED Secretary for the State Board to SSW to present directly to students on licensing requirements. Information about these presentations is posted on the MSW listserv, and copies of these presentations and other licensing information are placed in the SSW Student Lounge (Richardson 003). SSW also provides information via the MSW listserv about available workshops to prepare for licensing examination.
  • Key information for MSW students as relates to licensing
    • All graduates of the current SSW MSW program meet the education requirements for the LMSW examination;
    • All current graduates of the SSW MSW program with a clinical practice concentration also meet the education requirements for the LCSW examination;
    • All current graduates of the SSW MSW program with a MACRO concentration can also meet the education requirements for the LCSW examination by completing one advanced clinical practice course (note that the LCSW examination also has additional experience and supervision requirements).

See the NYSED social work licensing website for additional questions about LMSW and LCSW licensing


Your MSW degree includes both Generalist (“foundation”) courses and Advanced Concentration (“advanced”) courses. The advising worksheets below show which courses are “foundation” and which are “advanced” within the degree, and where they fall in the timing of the degree program. All students complete the same foundation courses. Students eventually choose a concentration for their advanced courses of either “MACRO” practice or “Clinical” practice.

  • Selecting a Concentration (“MACRO” or “Clinical”) for the advanced courses in the program which, for example, begin in the second year for full-time students or the third year for part-time students
  • Academic Difficulty -Each semester the Associate Dean’s office reviews the grades of students who receive a grade below B. Students who need to make adjustments or improvements are notified by the Associate Deans office. The student’s academic advisor is also informed. In addition, around the mid-semester point course instructors may opt to indicate that a student is in academic difficulty in a particular course, in order to help the student mobilize for success. Similarly, field instructors or field liaisons may identify that a student is in difficulty in field. In either such difficulty, academic advisors can be a valuable resource to the student.
  • Grade Appeals, Social Work Ethics Violations, and Readmission after Dismissal   

Key Resources at the University at Albany

It is the policy of the University at Albany to make reasonable accommodations for qualified students with disabilities. All students with special requests or needs for accommodations should make this request in person as soon as possible. Please include a copy of your letter from the Disability Resource Center stating that you have registered with them and the suggested academic accommodations when making this request.