Joint MSW/Ph.D. Program

The Joint MSW/Ph.D. program allows qualified students without a MSW degree to earn two graduate degrees with just 86 credits (instead of the 96 required to earn the degrees separately). Students who complete the program can potentially gain licensure as an LCSW and work in practice settings as well as pursue careers in academia or research.

 The UAlbany-SUNY School of Social Welfare offers a unique combination of strengths to qualified Ph.D. candidates:

  • Our program is nationally renowned for studies on aging, children and families, diversity and minority health disparities, addictions, and mental health.
  • Our graduates and current students include leaders in state government, research institutes, and community-based agencies in the U.S. and around the world.
  • The School's faculty are nationally recognized, year in and year out, for their scholarship and productivity.
  • The School's unique location in New York's Capital Region—the seat of government for one of America's largest states—provides opportunities for policy and practice pilot programs that often inform services and laws.
  • Students can participate in our international program and research initiatives in such places as China, South Korea, Russia, South Africa, and Peru.

    At UAlbany-SUNY, Joint MSW/Ph.D. students in social work collaborate with faculty of international reputation while conducting research in the areas that intrigue them most—anything from developmental disabilities to homeless GLBT youth. After graduation, they are in great demand as faculty, researchers, practice leaders, and initiators of social welfare policy, as well as in other capacities.

    In order to graduate from the Joint MSW/Ph.D. Program, accepted students must:
  • Associate Professor in the School of Social Welfare, Blanca Ramos, addressing studentsHave a satisfactory record in all MSW/Ph.D. courses;
  • Complete at least two acceptable substantive courses outside the School of Social Welfare;
  • Satisfactorily complete the Comprehensive Essay;
  • Submit an acceptable dissertation based on independent research.

To learn more about the program, email or call the School of Social welfare at (518) 442-5380.  To apply to the joint MSW/Ph.D. program, please visit our admissions page by clicking here.