Learn More About

MSW Non-Degree Registration

Non-Degree MSW Admissions

Our non-degree program allows interested applicants to explore the field of social work prior to committing to the University at Albany's Masters in Social Work program. Non-degree study options provide an opportunity to get a head start on coursework, demonstrate your capability to do graduate-level work and obtain a better understanding of what will be required as a student in the program.

A non-degree student can take a maximum of 2 courses per semester in the School of Social Welfare. Unlike our matriculated program, applicants may apply to begin courses during the Fall, Spring or Summer.  Applications must be submitted prior to the start of the semester.  For information on registering for classes visit our non-degree registration page.

A maximum of 12 credits of graduate coursework taken as a non-matriculated student will automatically count toward the MSW degree if the credits fulfill MSW requirements at the time you matriculate and the courses were taken within 3 years of matriculation.

Applying for Non-Degree Status

Submit a non-degree online application, official transcripts, and fee to the Office of Graduate Admissions. The application and fee payment form are available on the Graduate Education website.

The Institution from which you earned your degree should send your official transcript to:

Office of Graduate Education
UAB 121
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12222

Once you are authorized for non-degree study at the University, you are eligible to take courses for up to 2 years. There is no need to re-apply each semester.

Start the application process today.

Help is Available

Questions about completing or submitting the non-degree application should be directed to the Office of Graduate Education at (518) 442-3980 or graduate@albany.edu.

Questions about the non-degree program should be directed to the School of Social Welfare Help Desk at (518) 442-5320 or sswhelp@albany.edu.