Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)

The University at Albany fully complies with the New York State Freedom of Information Law (Article VI, Sections 84-90, Public Officers Law, as amended effective January 1, 1978).


Requesting Records Under FOIL

You may make a request under FOIL in writing to the University at Albany Records Access Officer Corinne Fauchon through any of the following means:

Email:             [email protected]


Address:        University Hall 212

                      Office of Enterprise Risk Management and Compliance

                      University at Albany

                      1400 Washington Ave

                      Albany, NY 12222

To facilitate timely processing of your request, please describe the record(s) sought and include as much descriptive information as possible, such as date range, keywords in a record, file type(s), and other information that may help locate records.

Please include your contact information, in particular email address and postal mail address, as well as phone number with your request.


Fee for Records Requested Under FOIL

The University at Albany can charge for some FOIL requests per Section 87(1)(b)(iii) and 87(1)(b)(c) of Article 6 of New York State Public Officers Law. This includes, but is not limited to, charging twenty-five cents per photocopy or an amount equal to the hourly salary attributed to the lowest paid agency employee who has the necessary skill required to prepare a copy of the requested record.


Education Records (FERPA protected)

The release of an individual's education record is regulated by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act and therefore should be requested under FERPA rather than under FOIL. Please review the information provided by the Office of the Registrar on FERPA to learn about the privacy protections of FERPA and to understand your rights.

University Police (UPD) Records

The University Police Department is responsible for its own records. Please check the UPD website for statistics already made available or to request a UPD record.