Preferred First Name Policy

University at Albany Preferred First Name Policy

What is a Preferred First Name? A preferred first name is one that you choose to be called that is different from your legal/primary first name. The University at Albany allows you to do this by setting a Preferred First Name field in MyUAlbany.

What is UAlbany’s Preferred First Name Policy? The University recognizes that some community members wish to use a first name other than a legal/primary first name to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different first name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, the University will utilize the Preferred First Name for:

  • Class Rosters
  • Grade Rosters
  • Blackboard

Your legal/primary first name will appear on all other University records and documents. A student’s legal/primary name will remain unchanged in all other University related systems. Students who wish to change their legal/primary name can obtain the Request to Change Name, SS #, and Other Demographic Data Form on the Registrar’s Forms page at

Who Can Modify a Preferred First Name? Preferred first names are set using MyUAlbany. Therefore, you as a University at Albany student, can modify your Preferred First Name. Click here for instructions on how to modify your Preferred First Name.

Preferred First Name FAQ’s:
Can anyone update my Preferred First Name? No. Only you as the student with access to your MyUAlbany account can update your preferred first name.

Can I set my Preferred First Name to whatever I want? You may set your Preferred First Name to whatever you would like. However, the University reserves the right to remove a Preferred First Name if determined inappropriate.

Can I use my Preferred First Name for everything at the University? No. Your Preferred First Name can only be used and will only appear on the Class Roster, Grade Roster, and in Blackboard. On all other University records and documents your legal/primary first name will appear.

How do I correct or change my Legal/Primary Name at the University?