Legacy + Lineage + Liberation - Sept. 21
High School Matinee
Please note: This performance is full. A waiting list is available.
Described by The New York Times as “...triple-threat performers who dance, sing and act with a sometimes searing sense of truthfulness,” Urban Bush Women is a groundbreaking Brooklyn-based ensemble seeking to bring untold and under-told histories and stories to light through dance, from a woman-centered perspective and as members of the African Diaspora community. They offer a lecture/demonstration showcasing some of their iconic works (Women’s Resistance, Give Your Hands to Struggle, Girlfriends) that resonate in this time of reflection around equity and justice, and lift up Black lives in inspiring ways.
Date and Time: Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 10am
Running Time: 60 minutes
Resources: Teacher study guide provided
Reservations and Other Information
- For 22-23, admission is free to all performances and reservations are required. To make a reservation for your school group or for additional details, contact Kim Engel at 518-442-5738 or [email protected].
- Our series of high school matinees culminates with a play about hunger and food insecurity. We are asking that groups consider collecting and bringing canned and non-perishable items for donation to UAlbany’s Purple Pantry as well as local community food banks and pantries.
- Resource materials are generally available approximately one month in advance of the shows. Directions and bus information are provided upon reservation.
- Guided campus, Performing Arts Center and Art Museum tours as well as other activities like departmental meetings, class observations and lunch in the Campus Center are possible when your group is on campus. More information will be provided with your reservation.
- Home school students and parents are welcome.
- Please read our current COVID safety protocols
This engagement of Urban Bush Women is funded through the ArtsCONNECT program of Mid Atlantic Arts with support from the National Endowment for the Arts. Support provided by the NYS DanceForce, a partnership program of the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of the New York State Governor and Legislature. Additional support provided by the Dance Alliance and University Auxiliary Services.