Biographical Sketches of Selected Men of the Normal School Company
Cory E. McClain

     Rodney G. Kimball was serving as Professor of Mathematics at the Normal School when the Civil War began. He and his associate, Albert N. Husted, also a mathematics instructor at the Normal School, resigned their positions in order to assist in forming a company of volunteer infantry. The company they helped muster in would be known as the "new" Company E, of the 44th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The original Company E had been decimated in the fighting at Antietam, with survivors being transferred to shore up the ranks of other companies in the regiment. The 44th New York was a proud unit, also known as "Ellsworth's Avengers" after Colonel E. Elmer Ellsworth who had been killed in Alexandria, Virginia.

     The "new" Company E would consist primarily of graduates and students of the Normal School. Recruited in or near Albany, in the late summer of 1862, Company E joined the 44th New York as it guarded the Potomac on the 23rd of October, 1862. The soldiers of Company E would see combat in 17 separate engagements during their years of obligated service. At the expiration of their contract many of the men were transferred to the 140th New York and some accepted commissions to serve as officers in newly formed U.S. Colored Infantry units.

     Company E was an unusual unit in that most of the soldiers and officers were educated professionals. As such, several of the men of Company E, who survived the war, went on to lead comparatively successful, prosperous lives.

     In the following pages, I have attempted to construct biographical sketches of six of these men. The sketches will focus on the post war years and accomplishments of these men, but I have found it necessary, and in some cases important, to include ante bellum and wartime information.


     Rodney G. Kimball

To the Executive Committee of the State Normal School:


     Believing it to be every man's duty to do what he can to end the war which is in our midst, I think it my duty to urge the Normal students to take up arms in the cause of liberty. As I cannot do this and still hold my position in the school as Professor of Mathematics I hereby tender my resignation of the Professorship. I thank you for the confidence which you expressed by conferring the appointment upon me, and for the many personal favors which I have received. Regretting sincerely the necessity which compels me to leave a school in which I have spent so many years,

I Remain Your Obedient Servant,

     Rodney G. Kimball[1] 

     Thus on July 28, 1862, Professor Kimball formally submitted his resignation. "Laying aside his worthy calling to follow the flag and share with his students the vicissitudes of war."[2]  The Executive Committee promptly accepted the resignation.

     Kimball, twenty-seven years old, was formally mustered into service on September 6, 1862. He was commissioned a Captain and appointed as the Company Commander for the "new" Company E which was to be formed from Normal School students.[3] 

     Kimball was graduated from New York City College in 1855. Upon graduation he took a position as Assistant Professor of Mathematics at the Albany Normal School. He was appointed to a full Professorship in 1859.[4] 

     Captain Kimball's command of Company E was brief and inglorious. Serving in this capacity during the Battle of Fredericksburg, Kimball was "hit by two spent balls, but without resulting in serious injury."[5]  He departed the regiment on "sick leave" on February 4, 1863. Captain Kimball's career as a soldier ended with an honorable discharge, and a "Surgeon's Certificate of Disability," on April 16, 1863.[6] 

     According to Charles Woodworth, one of the soldiers in the company, Kimball's illness and disability were of dubious veracity. Woodworth says Kimball was "only a man, not the soul of honor that many of us believed him to be. But his pupils are the ones who feel the deception the keenest. He is an unfeeling, tyrannical villain to any one who is so unfortunate as not to be a favorite, and if there is enough of the company spared to form a Corporal's guard when it is mustered out of service, and Captain Kimball survives the wreck of cherished hopes I will predict for him a coat of tar and feathers."[7] Woodworth elaborates, "Kimball had his furlough renewed as fast as it expired on account of 'delicate health.' Woodworth had hoped and prayed that he would never come back. The men had heard at first that his resignation had not been accepted because his 'disease of shell fever' is curable."[8] 

     After his discharge, Kimball attempted to regain the position of Professor of Mathematics at the Normal School. According to the minutes of the Executive Committee, the Committee received "a letter from Captain Kimball stating that by reason of ill health he had been obliged to resign his commission in the Army, but that it is now so far restored that he will be able to resume his professional labors, and that if desired by the committee he will be gratified to return to his former position in the Normal School."[9] 

     Kimball was returned to the Professorship at the expense of Professor Lawrence, who had been provisionally appointed to Kimball's professorship with the understanding that Kimball could return if and whenever possible.[10] 

     Professor Kimball remained at the Normal School as Professor of Mathematics until June 30, 1869 when he resigned to take a similar position at the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute. Kimball served as Professor of Applied Mathematics in Brooklyn until his death April 25, 1900.[11] 

     The Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute was founded in 1854 and became a degree granting institution in 1869 - the same year Rodney Kimball arrived. The school underwent a name change in 1889, becoming the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn. Referred to simply as "The Poly" by students, the school exists today as the Polytechnic University of New York.

     While at Poly, Kimball was well regarded. "It was Professor Kimball whom some considered the best teacher in the school. A keen and friendly person, he was not one to be fooled with, though. He was the mildest mannered man that ever scuttled ship or cut a throat."[12]  In fact during his tenure, Kimball was selected as "Fairest Marker" in 1887,'88 and '90; "Most Rigid Disciplinarian" in 1887,'88 and '90; "Favorite Professor" in 1888 and '90; and "Lowest marker" in 1899.[13] 

     Upon his death in April 1900, Professor Kimball was remembered in the "Polywog," a student publication, as having "endeared himself to his pupils in many ways. Faithful in his duties until compelled by disease to cease his labors; just to the utmost degree; kind and sympathetic to all; a true gentleman in every sense; his memory will ever live in the hearts of his former pupils inspired by the example of his noble life."[14] 

Albert N. Husted 

To the Executive Committee of the State Normal School:


Having assisted in raising the Normal School Company, and having accepted a Lieutenancy therein, I hereby resign my situation as teacher in the institution of which you have charge.


     Albert N. Husted[15] 

     Just as they had with Professor Kimball, the Executive Committee approved the resignation of Professor Husted, who at the time was serving as an Instructor of Mathematics. Husted was twenty-eight years old when he mustered into Company E on September 6, 1862 as a 2nd Lieutenant. Along with Kimball, he had helped to raise and organize the students and graduates of the Normal School during the late summer of that year, and he, like Kimball, felt it his duty to serve as well.

     Albert Husted was born October 10, 1833 in Washington, Dutchess County, New York. The eldest of six sons born to Nathaniel and Elmira Husted, and grandson of Thaddeus Husted who had served as an officer in the Army during the American Revolution. Albert Husted graduated from the Gates Academy, Orleans County at age eighteen. After graduation he taught for one year at a country school. Husted then attended the State Normal School and graduated in 1855.[16]  He was immediately appointed as an Instructor of Mathematics at the Normal School upon completing his studies.

     Unlike Kimball, Husted's military service was lengthy and noble. He participated in all battles with the Army of the Potomac between October 1862 and October 1864. Wounded at Chancellorsville in May of 1863, but not hospitalized, he credited the testament and diary carried in his side pocket with saving his life.[17]  Husted was promoted to 1st Lieutenant on January 28, 1863 and Captain on September 20, 1863. During the Wilderness campaign, 1st Lieutenant Husted again escaped death (a bullet pierced his hat and another his bootleg) and narrowly avoided capture.[18]  Captain Husted was mustered out of service with an honorable discharge on October 14, 1864.[19] 

     Charles Woodworth also mentions Lieutenant Husted in his papers. He says, on January 18, 1963, " Lieutenant Husted is an insipid, little cow."[20]  Woodworth, when he is ill in October 1863, sees Husted a bit differently, "The Lieutenant is going to get me some potatoes tomorrow. He thinks a good deal of me and I probably owe a part of my good treatment to him. He is very solicitous in my behalf and calls everyday."[21] 

     On November 9, 1864 the Executive Committee of the State Normal School entertained the request of "Captain Albert N. Husted, a former teacher, whose term of service in the Army had lately expired," for reappointment to a Professorship. The committee approved his reappointment and granted a salary of $1000 per annum.[22]  The committee chairman approved Husted's reappointment at the next meeting and Husted resumed his position as Instructor of Mathematics. He would remain at the Normal School until 1912, having earned a full professorship upon the resignation of Professor Kimball in 1869. Professor Husted earned an A.M from Hamilton College in 1866 and a Ph.D. in Philosophy from Illinois Wesleyan University in 1896.[23] 

     Aside from his teaching duties at the Normal School, Professor Husted also served as the interim President upon the death of President Waterbury. The minutes of the Executive Committee reveal that for his services between September 13 - October 29, 1889 Husted was compensated an additional $147 for the difference in pay for Professor and President.[24] 

     In 1867, Professor Husted married a Normal School undergraduate, Miss Jane E. Ingersoll. They were married for twenty-four years, with two daughters, before Miss Ingersoll died in 1891. Husted married Elizabeth Neemes Gladding in 1903. In 1906, Husted and his wife received visitors to their home at 314 Hamilton St., Albany, on Wednesday evenings. The family summered in Spencertown, Columbia County, New York.[25] 

     During his fifty-seven years of teaching at the Normal School, Professor Husted was enormously busy in the social and charitable societies of Albany. He was the Commander of Post 63, New York Grand Army of the Republic; Trustee and Treasurer of the Albany Institute and Historical Society; Treasurer and a member of the Executive Committee of the New York Sabbath Association; President of the Albany City Mission for three years; Superintendent of the Rensselaer Street Henion Mission Sunday School; Elder at the Reformed (Dutch) Church; member and Historian for four years in the Sons of the Revolution; member of the Military Order of Loyal Legion and Treasurer of the Home for Christian Workers.[26] 

     Husted was described as "tall, erect, keen of eye and firm of step."[27]  In the classroom he was noted for his "patient, logical mode of procedure."[28]  When he had completed fifty years of teaching at the State Normal School, a reception was given by the President and faculty at which the Dr. A. N. Husted Fellowship was established.[29] 

     Professor Husted died on October 12, 1912. His funeral described by the local newspapers as one of the largest in many years, was held at the Normal School, only the second time in the school's history that such an event had occurred. "A profusion of floral tokens were in evidence" as the pall bearers - Dr. Blue, Dean of the School; Professor Sayles, Principal of the Normal High School; and Professors Woodard, Decker, Bronson and Birchenough escorted Dr. Husted to his site of interment at Spencertown, New York.[30] 

     On October 23, 1912 the students and faculty gathered to honor the memory of Professor Husted. Resolutions by the faculty and a committee of students were read and unanimously endorsed by the student body. Dr. Milne, President of the Normal School, described Dr. Husted as "a splendid character, so filled with kindliness for his fellow creatures and reverence for his God." The service ended with the playing of Husted's favorite songs: "Tenting on the Old Camp Ground," and "America."[31] 

     Consider H. Willet

Consider H. Willet enlisted into Company E on August 14, 1862. Mustered in as First Sergeant, at twenty-one years of age, the 5 feet, 4 1/2 inch Willet was the company's senior ranking enlisted member.[32] 

     The light complexioned, light haired, grey eyed Willet was born December 12, 1840 in Onondaga, New York. He graduated the Normal School in 1862.

     During the Battle of Gettysburg, First Sergeant Willet captured ninety-seven Confederates, two swords and one Colt revolver. For his heroism he was promoted to Captain and transferred to the 2nd U.S. Colored Infantry, with whom he served in Florida to the end of the war.[33] 

     Captain Willet continued to excel on the field of battle while serving in Florida. In command of the 2nd Florida Cavalry, Captain Willet captured three hundred head of cattle and two blockade runners. At the Battle of Natural Bridge he captured a twelve pound cannon and the gun's crew while in command of a line of skirmishers. He was struck with yellow fever in Key West where he resigned September 12, 1865.[34] 

     After the war Willet returned to Albany and studied law. He was admitted to the New York Bar but did not practice, opting instead to attend law school formally at Michigan University Law School. Graduating in 1867, he moved to Chicago where he practiced law as the Village Attorney for Hyde Park, Illinois. Following this, Willet practiced law for many years as the County Attorney, Cook County, Illinois.[35] 

     Consider Willet married Lois Wilder in 1867. The couple raised eight children.[36] 

     Samuel McBlain

     Samuel McBlain was twenty-six years old when he mustered into Company E on August 14, 1862. His brother George, who also enlisted was only twenty-two years old. George was wounded at Fredericksburg and died two months later. Samuel McBlain survived and led a notable life after the war.[37] 

     Born in Seneca, New York on May 30, 1836, Samuel McBlain was the son of Robert McBlain and Mary Martin, both Irish immigrants.[38]  The five foot, nine inch, dark complexioned, brown haired, gray eyed McBlain graduated from the Normal School in 1861. He taught in Geneva, New York and Dexter, Michigan for one term before enlisting as a Corporal at Albany.

     McBlain was twice promoted while serving with Company E. On March, 17, 1863 he was promoted to Sergeant. On February 7, 1864 he was made First Sergeant. Upon the expiration of his service obligation in October 1864, he was transferred to 140th New York Volunteers. In the 140th, McBlain was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in December 1864. He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant on March 5, 1865 and brevetted to Captain at Appomattox.[39] 

     After the war he taught for one term, before buying a ninety-four acre farm in Billsborough, a small crossroads, five miles south of Geneva, New York. On this farm McBlain raised thoroughbred Durham cattle and Stropshire sheep.[40]  He married Miss Sarah Huie in 1866. During the war McBlain had carried a small picture of Miss Huie in his uniform pocket. This picture was in every engagement McBlain was in...all sixteen.[41]  The McBlain's had four children. Mills was killed as a young man in a horse accident and Thomas died at nine months.[42] 

     Samuel McBlain held a variety of positions and was deeply involved in the town affairs of Geneva, New York. He served as the Justice of the Peace for seven years. Elected to this position by the unanimous vote of the Geneva Town Board who characterized him as an "intelligent and respected farmer. A Liberal Republican in full sympathy and fellowship with the Democratic party."[43]  He traveled for the Mutual Life Insurance Company for two years and the State Experimental Station for many years. On September 27, 1879 he was elected to the Geneva Town Committee.[44]  In October 1878 he was the duly accredited delegate for the Town of Geneva at the Democratic Convention for Ontario County which was held at Canandaigua, New York.[45]  McBlain was appointed Postmaster for Billsborough on May 12, 1885. In this position he served at least eight years.[46]  He was also a practicing attorney, known as "Squire" McBlain, dealing chiefly with deeds and wills.[47] 

     Samuel McBlain died in 1919. "He was greatly respected for his sound judgment and was active in town affairs."[48] 

     Charles Ezra Sprague

     Sprague originally enlisted for three months service in Company R, 25th New York National Guard Infantry, in May of 1862. The three months expired before the young man's appetite for war had been satisfied, so at age nineteen he enlisted as a Corporal in Company E.[49] 

     Charles Ezra Sprague was not a graduate of the Normal School. Born in Nassau, New York on October 9, 1842 to the Reverend Ezra Sprague, a Methodist minister, and Elizabeth Brown Edgerton Sprague, Charles displayed a keen intelligence and appetite for learning very early in his childhood. At age eight, he was teaching himself Hebrew by comparing English Bibles with Hebrew Bibles. His affinity for language was a lifelong characteristic.[50] 

     Sprague enrolled at Union College at age fourteen, at the time he was the youngest to ever attend. At Union, Classical Greek was his specialty. In this area he was "years ahead of the nearest competitor."[51]  He learned Modern Greek much later in life. Using newly arrived immigrants, he would meet and talk with them, immersing himself into the language, forcing him to learn and understand.

     Sprague attended Union with the benefit of the Nott Scholarship, which provided full tuition and fee coverage, plus a ten dollar stipend if certain conditions were met and maintained. These conditions were: retention in good standing, no use of intoxicating liquor as a beverage and no tobacco in any form. Charles Sprague observed these conditions to the fullest and maintained his scholarship throughout his years at Union.[52] 

     Also at Union, Sprague became active in fraternity life. He joined Alpha Delta Phi, an organization to which he remained close, for a lifetime. In fact, he served as National Secretary for the fraternity between 1896 - 1901. He also served as President ad interim 1897-'98 and 1901-'03. Sprague also joined Phi Beta Kappa, an honorary scholastic fraternity, upon graduation from Union. Fellow Union student, George W. Brown, described Sprague as one of "the brightest and best equipped," despite his youth. "He was never haughty or arrogant."[53]  Sprague received his Master's degree from Union in 1862 and a Ph.D. in Philosophy in 1893.

     Sprague was wounded in the left shoulder while serving with Company E at Gettysburg. The injury, while not terribly serious, would serve as a painfully and partially disabling reminder of the war for the rest of his life. He was discharged for his wounds in March 1864. In 1868 he was brevetted a Colonel in the New York Volunteers for "meritorious and gallant service at Gettysburg."[54]  Despite this brevet, he enlisted as a private in the New York National Guard in 1870. In January 1872, Sprague won a Lieutenant's commission. In June 1872 he was promoted to Captain. He was honorably discharged from the National Guard on August 28, 1873. Sprague's final taste of military service came in 1897 when he was commissioned a Colonel to serve as Assistant Postmaster General for the State of New York. He left National Guard service for the last time in June, 1901.

     The war exposed Sprague to military tactics, in which he became proficient and began teaching in military schools. As soon as he was physically able, after his discharge, he joined the faculty of the Yonkers Military Institute, where he taught for two years. He also taught at the Peekskill Academy and the Poughkeepsie Military Institute. During this period of teaching, Sprague's proficiency in tactics continued to near levels of mastery. He published several articles in the "Army and Navy Journal," discussing and comparing U.S., British and Prussian tactics. He was also asked to confer with the Commandant of the United States Military Academy on the proposed revision of the Academy tactics manual.[55] 

     Sprague married Miss Ray Ellison of New York City on April 2, 1866. Together they had four daughters. Two of the girls died before reaching adulthood. Mr. and Mrs. Sprague traveled extensively to Europe, a total of twenty-seven trips. Charles was primarily focused on Great Britain for observing and learning new business practices and improvements.

     Sprague developed an interest in simplified spelling and universal languages like Esperanto and Volapuk. He actually made a special trip to Bavaria to visit the German priest, Father Johann Schleyer, who invented Volapuk. Since Sprague spoke sixteen languages at this time, Volapuk was not necessary for him, but he could see the larger impact such a language could have on society.

     In 1870 Sprague began what was to be his true calling. He took a clerkship at the Union Dime Savings Bank in New York City. He obtained the job primarily because of his multi-lingual interpretive ability. In 1877 he became Secretary then Treasurer. Finally, in 1892 he became the Bank President, a position he held until his death in 1912. During his clerkship he had become skilled in accountancy. He was therefore one of the first to qualify as a Certified Public Accountant. His pioneering efforts in the certification process allowed him to sit on the Board of Examiners for CPAs in 1896-1898.

     Sprague introduced many innovations to savings bank bookkeeping, including: the small bank passbook and checkbook; the loose leaf ledger; amortization methods; and the "automalogothotype," a machine that made automated ledger entries, thereby speeding and simplifying routine work and reducing errors of pen made entries. Sprague failed to patent the creation, and its design was copied unashamedly.[56] 

     Also while connected to the Union Dime Savings Bank, Sprague recognized the need to train young men for life in business and commerce. He became instrumental in the founding of the School of Commerce, Accounts and Finance at New York University. He became a member of the faculty of this new school, teaching at night and without compensation. In class he was known for punctuality, precision and carefulness. His lectures were clear and extremely beneficial to the young students. There were no documented cases of students skipping one of Sprague's classes.

     Sprague also published in the field of finance. He wrote several timely articles for banking and business magazines, and newspapers. He served as the associate editor for "The Bookkeeper," and "The Journal of Accountancy." Several books were published throughout his life and republished after his death, testifying to the value and contribution of his work. A list of Sprague's books include: The Algebra of Accounts (1880); The Accountancy of Investment (1904); Extended Bond Tables (1905); Problems and Studies in the Accountancy of Investment (1906); and, The Philosophy of Accounts (1907).

     Charles Ezra Sprague died of pneumonia, March 21, 1912. His close friend, Dean Johnson, head of New York University, said in memory, "He was a gentleman of the old school, courtly, sensitive, tactful; a man of wide culture with a genuine love for beauty in art and literature; a scholar without pride of attainment, but insistent in his love of scientific accuracy; a soldier, and in battle you felt that he would be a brave fighter; and in addition, a banker, an accountant, and a square, honorable, business man."[57] 

     Andress Hull

     Andress Hull was also known as Albert B. Hull, and records indicate he used both names during the Civil War. He enlisted, as a Private, in Company E at age twenty on August 8, 1862. He was promoted to Corporal on July 22, 1863 and Sergeant on December 8, 1863. Hull was discharged January 14, 1864 and reinstated on January 25, 1864 with a Captain's commission. As an officer he served in the Department of the Gulf with the 20th U.S. Colored Infantry. He was mustered out of service on October 7, 1865.[58] 

     A small man, with a slight frame, Hull measured only 5 feet, 3 1/2 inches tall.[59]  Light complexioned, and blonde with blue eyes, he graduated from the Normal School in 1862. After the war he, like Consider Willet, moved to Chicago, and in 1868 began work for the Chicago and Northwest Railroad, becoming paymaster in 1876. He held this position until his death August 8, 1906 in Evanston, Illinois.[60] 

[1]  Executive Committee Minutes of the State Normal School at Albany, Volume 1. Transcription, 285. Return to Text

[2]  Eugene Arus Nash, A History of the Forty-Fourth Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War, 1861-1865 (Dayton, Ohio: Morningside Bookshop, 1988), 108. Return to Text

[3]  Ibid. Return to Text

[4]  Polywog 1900. Yearbook of the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, 145. Return to Text

[5]  Nash, 321. Return to Text

[6]  Ibid. Return to Text

[7]  Charles Woodworth Papers, Lawrence Hotchkiss Collection, William Clements Library, University of Michigan. Return to Text

[8]  Ibid. Return to Text

[9]  Executive Committee, 290. Return to Text

[10] 10 Ibid. Return to Text

[11]  Ibid, 334. Return to Text

[12]  Miles Mervin Kastendieck, The Story of Poly (Harvey Matthews and Company, 1940), 53. Return to Text

[13]  Polywog, various years and pages. Return to Text

[14]  Polywog 1900, 145. Return to Text

[15]  Executive Committee Minutes of the State Normal School at Albany, Volume 1. Transcription, 285. Return to Text

[16]  Newspaper article, unknown. Special Collections, State University of New York, Albany. Return to Text

[17]  Eugene Arus Nash, A History of the Forty-Fourth Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War, 1861-1865 (Dayton, Ohio: Morningside Bookshop, 1988), 145. Return to Text

[18]  Ibid. Return to Text

[19]  Ibid, 261. Return to Text

[20]  Charles Woodworth Papers, Lawrence Hotchkiss Collection, William Clements Library, University of Michigan. Return to Text

[21]  Ibid. Return to Text

[22]  Executive Committee, 298. Return to Text

[23]  Obituary, unknown source. Special Collections, State University of New York, Albany. Return to Text

[24]  Executive Committee Minutes of the State Normal School at Albany, Volume 2. Transcription, 547-554. Return to Text

[25]  The Albany and Troy Blue Book, 1906 (New York: Dow Publishing Co. 1906). Return to Text

[26]  The Echo. Monthly Student Publication (State Normal College: Albany, New York), June 1905. Return to Text

[27]  Ibid., November 1912, 125. Return to Text

[28]  Ibid, 127. Return to Text

[29]  Ibid, 126. Return to Text

[30]  Newspaper article, unknown. Special Collections, State University of New York, Albany. Return to Text

[31]  Ibid. Return to Text

[32]  New York. Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts of New York State Volunteers (New York State Library). Return to Text

[33]  Eugene Arus Nash, A History of the Forty-Fourth Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War, 1861-1865 (Dayton, Ohio: Morningside Bookshop, 1988), 456. Return to Text

[34]  Ibid. Return to Text

[35]  Ibid. Return to Text

[36]  Ibid. Return to Text

[37]  George S. Conover, ed., History of Ontario County (Syracuse, NY: D. Mason and Company, 1893), 218. Return to Text

[38]  Ibid. Return to Text

[39]  Ibid. Return to Text

[40]  Lucile M. Harford, The Country Cousin (Newark, NY: Vanderbrook Press, Inc., 1976), 131. Return to Text

[41]  Original photo. Geneva Historical Society: Geneva, New York. Return to Text

[42]  Harford, 132. Return to Text

[43]  Geneva Gazette, 7 January 1876. Return to Text

[44]  Geneva Gazette, , 3 October 1879. Return to Text

[45]  Geneva Gazette, 4 October 1878. Return to Text

[46]  Emma G. Koberg, Collected Postal History Notes of Ontario County, New York State (Empire State Postal History Society, 1978), 43. Return to Text

[47]  Harford, 131. Return to Text

[48]  Ibid, 132. Return to Text

[49]  Helen Scott Mann, Charles Ezra Sprague (New York: New York University, 1931), 12. Return to Text

[50]  Ibid, 2. Return to Text

[51]  Ibid, 3. Return to Text

[52]  Ibid, 4. Return to Text

[53]  Ibid, 9. Return to Text

[54]  Ibid, 33. Return to Text

[55]  Ibid, 38. Return to Text

[56]  Ibid, 48. Return to Text

[57]  Ibid, 67. Return to Text

[58]  Eugene Arus Nash, A History of the Forty-Fourth Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War, 1861-1865 (Dayton, Ohio: Morningside Bookshop, 1988), 403. Return to Text

[59]  New York. Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts of New York State Volunteers (New York State Library). Return to Text

[60]  Historical Sketch of the State Normal College at Albany, N.Y. and a History of Its Graduates for Fifty Years (Albany: Brandow Printing Co., 1894), 189.