Learn. Live. Thrive. Succeed … at UAlbany, One of the “Best Universities in the U.S.”
One of America’s Top Colleges – Excellent Rankings
UAlbany, the Oldest SUNY (State University of New York) school is a comprehensive research state university. Called one of the “Best Universities” and “a Top-100 Best Value,” it’s no surprise that UAlbany combines excellent education with an affordable value. With UAlbany’s national rankings and groundbreaking education, students are prepared for the future.
- One of the “Top Universities in the World” – QS, 2015
- One of the “Best Business Schools” – Princeton Review
- One of the “Best Universities in the U.S.” – U.S. News & World Report (2015)
- One of “America’s Top Colleges” – Forbes Magazine
- #1 MBA Job Placement – U.S. News & World Report (2013 & 2014)
Your campus – your home!
Welcome to New York, Albany, UAlbany, and the IELP! The Intensive English Language Program (IELP) is located in the heart of the UAlbany campus. From the moment you arrive in UAlbany, you realize what an amazing and special place it is. The buildings were designed by one of America’s most famous architects. The campus is filled with water fountains, and beautiful forests surround the entire campus. A large pond on campus offers a natural habitat and walking trails to enjoy. Experience a world-class university!
Activities and Trips
The IELP hosts social and cultural activities and events for students. These activities help students learn and use language, meet new friends, explore new and exciting places, experience American culture, and become part of a community. At UAlbany students have the chance to enjoy beauty, diversity, history, culture, and world-famous places.
Every eight weeks, IELP students enjoy an All-Day Field Trip to World-Famous Destinations:
- New York City
- Niagara Falls
Students also enjoy many other popular activities in the area:
- Lake George, “The Queen of American Lakes”
- Cruises on the Hudson River
- Adirondack Park (Created in 1892 by the State of New York, the park is greater in size than Yellowstone, the Everglades, Glacier and Grand Canyon National Park combined.)
- Catskill Mountains
- National Basketball Hall of Fame and National Baseball Hall of Fame
- Thacher State Park
- Winter Sports: Downhill and Cross Country Skiing, Snowboarding, and Skating
- Summer Concerts: Washington Park, Jennings Landing, Saratoga Performing Arts Center
See a sample IELP Activities Calendar for one 8-week session.
IELP Language Clubs and Services
IELP students use English outside of class and are surrounded by opportunities to make new friends, practice English, and meet American students.
- Reading Theater
- Conversation Club
- Conversation Partners
- TOEFL Preparation Workshops
Albany is close to more great Northeast American and Canadian cities:
- Washington, DC
- Philadelphia, PA
- Baltimore, MD
- Buffalo, NY
- Montreal (Canada)
- Toronto (Canada)
- Ottawa (Canada)
Online English Eco-System
Language Activities Wherever You Are is an Online English Eco-System for students outside the language classroom. Use language, explore culture, form friendships, and become part of the UAlbany Community. Join others with LIVE language chats and VIRTUAL cultural immersion, Wherever You Are and Whenever You Want. Download a list of sample activities.
Learn the best ways to travel to Albany, New York from international destinations.