Unsuccessful Applications

Our programs are highly sought after, and we have a limited number of places in each of our programs; we have to turn away many qualified applicants. Having an alternative plan for another program is always a good strategy. An unsuccessful candidate does have the right to request reconsideration, but unless new and compelling information is presented, these requests are not successful. Requests for reconsideration should be sent to the Graduate Admission Office, and should include any new and compelling information beyond the original application.

Admissions criteria can be used to reflect on the strengths and weaknesses of your application. Please do not ask faculty members or department secretaries to discuss with you reasons why your application was denied. Department policy forbids this. Each application is given a thorough review by an admissions committee, and all aspects of the application (previous academic record, letters of reference, responses to our questions, personal statement, fit to our program, and examination results (e.g., TOEFL, GRE, Praxis, if required) are carefully considered. We do not deny an application based on any single factor.

Options for Applicants Who Are Not Accepted into the University at Albany Certification Program

(1) There are other programs in the local area with masters level teacher certification degrees (e.g. St. Rose and Union College). For a complete listing, please visit the NYSED database at www.nysed.gov/heds/IRPSL1.html and search from programs leading to certification.

(2) The New York State Education Department offers other pathways for teacher certification. To find out which pathway is right for you, visit www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/pathways.html. You may also want to consider alternative certification programs such as Teach for America or Teaching Fellows. These are offered across the state, with possible teaching placements in the Albany area.

(3) "Individual evaluation" is a possibility for some individuals, though not all, depending on prior coursework and experience. Currently, the individual evaluation certification option is available until May 1, 2014. For more information on this option, please visit the New York Stated Education Department website at http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/transeval.html. You may also want to contact your Regional Certification Office, which is operated by the Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) and speak to one of their certification specialists. He/she will review the requirements for certification sought and provide a list of additional coursework/requirements. The University at Albany does not provide this service and cannot conduct transcript reviews. For a complete list of Regional Certification Offices that offer individual evaluation, visit http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/regionalcenters.html.

(4) There are some private schools that do not require a teaching certificate.