Enhance Your English Teaching Practice with Advanced Communication Skills
Give yourself a competitive edge with a resume that includes both a master's in communication and a master's in teaching English to speakers of other languages.
The combined MS in TESOL and MA in Communication program helps you develop advanced interpersonal and intercultural communication skills while learning how to teach English as a second or foreign language.
By enrolling in this dual degree, your total required credits are reduced from 69 to 57 credits. This allows you to earn both master's degrees in less time. If you're a full-time student, you'll finish about a semester sooner than you could if you were to complete each program consecutively.
Program of Study
Common Core Courses
- Interpersonal Interaction
- Culture and Communication
- Additional course as advised
Courses in Communication
- Communication Theory and Practice
- Communication Research Methods
- Advanced Electives in Interpersonal Interaction/Cultural Practices as advised
- Capstone: Internship Practicum or Guided Research Project
Courses in Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- Approaches to English Grammar
- Second Language Learning
- Perspectives in Bilingual Education
Teaching Methods Courses
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Directed Field Experience in Education (clinic classes)
Linguistics Course (choose one)
- Applied Linguistics for Language Teachers
- Introduction to Phonetics & Phonology
- Linguistic Structures
- Introduction to Language in Education
Technology Course (choose one)
- Using Media in the Language Classroom
- Language, Literacy and Technology
Research Course (choose one)
- Research Seminar: Critical Introduction to Educational Research Paradigms
- Research Seminar: Research in Practice or
- Master's Thesis in Educational Theory and Practice
For more information contact Istvan Kecskes at email@example.com.
Because communication science and English language teaching are complementary areas of study, TESOL recruiters value candidates who intentionally complete this integrated program and earn graduate degrees in both fields.
In addition to the theoretical knowledge you gain in these programs, you also acquire practical experience that fully prepares you to succeed at instructing English learners in a variety of language learning environments.
This combined MS/MA provides you with a rich educational experience with full access to resources, professors, and opportunities across two departments in two different schools of the University (the School of Education and the College of Arts and Sciences).
Careers and Advisement
The Pathways Into Education (PIE) Center is the central office on campus serving undergraduate, graduate, and prospective students interested in pursuing careers in education and programs leading to teacher certification.
Please call or email to schedule an appointment.
Email Graduate Advisement