Chinese Program FAQ

If you don't find what you're looking for here, please contact us!


  • How many full-time professors does the program have?

We have four full-time professors and one full-time lecturer.


  • How many other departments offer related courses?

We offer China-related courses in History, Political Science, and Geography and Planning.


  • How many years of Chinese language courses does the program offer?

Three! We offer Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced Chinese every year. In addition, we occasionally offer Classical Chinese to both students of Chinese and of Japanese.

  • How many hours a week do language courses meet?

Beginning and Intermediate Chinese meet 4 days a week (Mon.-Thurs.) for a total of 5 credit hours each week. Advanced Chinese meets 2 days a week for a total of 3 credit hours a week.

  • Will I learn to read and write, or just speak and listen?

Our language program puts equal emphasis on all four areas. More details are available on the specific syllabi for each course, which can be found through our Schedules and Courses page.

  • Do you teach traditional or simplified characters?

We begin with simplified characters, and then in the upper levels introduce traditional characters. For example, the materials used in Advanced Chinese are available in both simplified and traditional. The difference between the two is also addressed in our methods course for Chinese majors, EAC205X, “Chinese Research and Bibliographic Method.”

  • Do you offer any dialects of Chinese besides Mandarin?

We teach only standard Mandarin (also known as putonghua 普通话  in Mainland China or guoyu 國語 in Taiwan). In addition, regardless of the location, all students on Study Abroad programs in China study Mandarin, not a specific local dialect.

  • How active is the Chinese community on campus and off campus?

Very! We have a Chinese Student Assciation and the Chinese Students & Scholars Association. The largest group of international students on campus are the Chinese students, with numbers above 350 in the 2008 academic year. Off campus, the Chinese Community Center is very active.


  • Does the program offer a study-abroad program?

We have three programs: one at Fudan University in Shanghai, one at East China Normal University also in Shanghai, and at Peking Normal University in Beijing (Peking). UAlbany students are also eligible to participate in any of the other SUNY study abroad programs sponsored by other SUNY campuses. See the SUNY Study Abroad page for more information.


Last updated August 18, 2016