Advisement FAQ

Who is my advisor?
Check myUAlbany for the name of your advisor (it’s also at the top of your DARS).  You'll also find information about when you can begin to register for next semester’s classes and whether or not there are any impediments to registering, such as unpaid parking tickets.

I've been trying to make an appointment with AdvisorTrac, and it's not working.
There is no connection between academic departments and AdvisorTrac. Once you have been assigned an advisor (see above), you must contact that professor directly for appointments.

What majors are available at the University at Albany? 
Click here for a full list:

What minors are available?
Click here:

How do the majors in Interdisciplinary Studies work? 
Click here for information:   Documentary Studies is one of the concentrations available.

I'd like to declare a major in Interdisciplinary Studies with a Concentration in Documentary Studies. 
To declare the major in Interdisciplinary Studies and the concentration in Documentary Studies, you’ll need to contact Advisement Services Center at LI-36 (it’s down the stairs in front of the library, to the right as you head toward the lecture centers).   It’s recommended that before you declare the major, or as soon as you do, that you seek enrollment in DOC 251 (=HIS 251), Introduction to Documentary Studies.

How do I declare a minor or add a second major?
The form to declare a second major or add or change a minor can be found online (click here).  

How do I know which courses will satisfy the requirements for the concentration?
Click here, to see the courses not only in Documentary Studies but also in Art, Communication, English, History, Journalism, Music, and Women’s Studies that satisfy requirements. You’ll note that there are two pathways through the Documentary Studies concentration, depending on whether you enrolled at UAlbany before or after fall 2012. 

How do I find out about courses offered in the coming semester?
For specific offerings each semester, go to the UAlbany schedule of classes.

What if a course I want is filled?
Documentary Studies courses, and those of Journalism, tend to fill quickly. It’s important that you try to register as soon as you’re able.  If you don’t get into a class that you need, contact the instructor of the course and explain who you are and why you need the course.  In some cases but not all, accommodations can be made.

If a course is listed as serving a major or minor, does that mean I don’t have to take prerequisites for it?
No.  It’s important, as you plan your pathway through any major or minor that you pay attention to which courses require prerequisites.   

Does the concentration in Documentary Studies offer internships?
There is no formal internship program, but we encourage students to seek out internship possibilities and put together a plan for approval by the concentration director.  Internships (ADOC 499) are 1-4 credits and are graded pass/fail (S/U).  The general expectation is 40 hours of work per credit (so a 3-credit internship would be a total of 120 hours over the course of a semester or the summer).  You may repeat ADOC 499 for up to six credits. See your advisor for details.  Please also visit the University at Albany's internship page

What if I want to study abroad?
The Study Abroad web site is  Many of the forms you need are available there, in particular the preliminary course approval form. In terms of planning courses, in general, electives (rather than Gen Ed or major/minor courses) may be easiest to transfer in from abroad—but it depends on where you’re going and what you’ll be studying. The most important thing to do is get advice before you go, and be sure to bring syllabi back with you, as they’re needed to determine final transfer equivalencies (which only happens upon you’re back).  These go to the Documentary Studies program director.

I transferred in.  How do I know which courses were counted?
The Transfer Equivalency Database helps determine how courses will transfer from other institutions to UAlbany.  If a course is not in the database, then you’ll need to work with your advisor, the Advisement Services Center, and the Registrar to determine how the course will count at UAlbany.

 Where do I go for information about the General Education Requirements?
The following links may be useful.  You can also contact Advisement Services Center (LC 36, under the main library),

What kinds of awards, grants, scholarships or fellowships might be available to UAlbany undergrads?
Be sure to read emails and check the websites of your major department for information about fellowships, scholarships, and other opportunities, some of which are open to undergrads rather than grad students (or to both).  READ THE INFORMATION CAREFULLY to make your application the most effective it can be.  Keep track of deadlines, ask a faculty member to look over your application, and be sure to apply -- you won't get if you don't ask.

Additional sources of information: