Frequently Asked Questions

What is the University doing regarding Federal Work Study Students

Please review the guidance provided by Steve Kudzin, Director of Financial Aid, regarding federal guidance on the Federal Work Study program.


What do I need to do if I, or someone on my staff, is exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19?

Employees who think they are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 should self-quarantine at home and follow normal call-in procedures. The employee should not come to campus even if deemed an essential employee until cleared  to do so.  

In addition to calling their personal physician or county health department for instructions on possible testing and measures to aid their recovery, State employees must also call the UAlbany Human Resources Medical Reporting Hotline 518-442-1501 to leave their name and contact information. A staff member will get contact the employee for more information and relay further instructions. 

If you are a non-State employee, please contact your human resources office to inform them of your situation and do not return to the campus until cleared to do so by your personal physician or county health department.

If a student discloses that they or a family member has positive for COVID-19, please encourage them to send an email to (for undergraduates) or (for graduate students). A staff member will follow up with the student about their academic options, help answer any questions, and address any concerns.  Based on the outcome of that assessment, we will then coordinate with other offices on campus to further support the student.

What is happening to new employee searches and hiring processes that were already underway or were expected to be underway soon?

Due to projected financial impacts of COVID-19, we have made the difficult decision to suspend all searches and hiring with only the following exemptions:

  • tenure-track, tenured, lecturers and adjunct faculty
  • essential health and safety positions
  • positions that directly support our remote learning environment and/or student recruitment and retention
  • Research Foundation positions directly supporting ongoing research

The Division for Finance and Administration is working directly with units regarding positions that may be filled based on the above criteria. We will not be able to project when our normal hiring process will resume until we have a more accurate understanding of the financial impacts of COVID-19, and we will provide information on this website as it becomes available. If you have further questions, please contact

I am interested in volunteering for a temporary work assignment. Where can I find out more?

Information collected about all available internal and external temporary work assignments will be featured on EngageUAlbany, an online platform accessible to all members of the UAlbany community. Once you have activated your EngageUAlbany profile,  you can explore the volunteer and community service opportunities available within the “COVID-19 Voluntary Temporary Workforce Reassignment Opportunities” on the left navigation of the page.

For more information please review the University's communication on volunteer temporary work assignments or contact Mary Hunt at, 518-527-3691.


I have an opening for a volunteer temporary work assignment in my unit. How can I post it?

Please review the University's communication on volunteer temporary work assignments for information on how supervisors can upload opportunities for volunteer temporary work assignments in their units.

For further questions, please contact Mary Hunt at, 518-527-3691.


Will there be an accommodation in the permanent appointment process for UUP perm eligible employees?

Please refer to the memo from Denise Szelest on Monday 5/11/2020 for further information.