Data Management & Analytics Center
The Data Management and Analytics Center (DMAC) provides customized data management support at the University at Albany. The DMAC is staffed by a dedicated Computer Specialist and Data Scientist within the Center for Human Services Research (CHSR). CHSR employs a team of IT experts and researchers across many disciplines including sociology, public health, neuroscience, psychology, criminal justice, and education. DMAC services that will be provided free of charge include:
- Data Procurement
- Data Management and Security
- File Preparation and Data Cleaning
In addition to these free services, we can also provide analytic support using a fee-forservice model. Additionally, we seek to collaborate with students, faculty, and other research centers and consortiums in pursuing funding opportunities that include our services.
Data Procurement and Security
DMAC staff will work with faculty and research staff to obtain data from both government and commercial data vendors. Faculty members and staff seeking secondary data sets may have an insufficient understanding of the university’s technical infrastructure to adequately address vendor requirements for data storage and security. Our role is to serve as a liaison between faculty, data vendors, and the existing UA ITS department. We aim to advise faculty about data security and storage options that are available to them given project parameters. We can also assist with negotiating terms with data vendors to procure data sets. Finally we can assist in obtaining datasets either through a physical format such as a CD or USB drive or a digital transfer of data using an API or secure connection.
Data Management, Security, and Software Support
In addition to helping to obtain data our team will assist faculty in ongoing management and security issues along with ITS. These sets of services will include:
- Coordinating collaborator and student access
- Assuring adherence to university policies and procedures regarding compliance for all participating researchers.
- Troubleshooting security issues and potential changes in data user access and interfaces.
- Maintaining software updates and access to software for relevant members of research project teams.
Data Preparation and Cleaning
To aid researchers in being able to devote most of their time to more advanced data analytics, preparation of results, and writing we intend to provide no cost data preparation and cleaning. These services will include:
- Transferring the data file into the type of file preferred by the end-use researcher.
- Extracting requested data subsets of variables or case conditions.
- Transformingdata between multiple formats such as wide, long, geospatial, etc.
- Merging data with other contextual data as projects require.
- Providing broad descriptive statistics (samples sizes, central tendency, and variation) and information about missing data for the end-use dataset.
In addition our core set of free services, we will also provide more technical and analytical support using a fee-for-service model. These services include:
- Computer applications to add researchers
- Survey data collection
- Qualitative and mixed methods approaches
- Advanced data modeling
We will collaborate with students, faculty, and other research centers and consortiums in pursuing funding opportunities that include our services. In that capacity we can assist with proposal planning and management, with conceptualizing and building competitive budgets, editing proposal drafts and assisting with submissions.
For more information, please contact us at:
Richardson Hall 315
135 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12222
Phone: (518) 442-5762
Fax: (518) 442-5732