Here are some preprints. If your browser knows what to do with .dvi files,
you can read these files. Browsers in areas such as mathematics departments
usually do, but in some more general settings, the browsers will not be able
to display .dvi files.
In specified cases, you can get a text file of the original TeX file
or a PostScript file.
For certain large files, the approximate size of the file is indicated.
I have not yet converted these files to PDF format for use with readers such
as Acrobat. If you are interested in
seeing my preprints in such a format,
please e-mail me.
(You must manually remove the ".spamblocker" I inserted in the e-mail address.)
Preprints are not refereed and are subject to correction, editing, revision,
Furthermore preprints may be submitted for publication, and copyright may be
transfered in the future with no further notice (or may have been transfered
in the case of preprints accepted). The maintainer of these pages reserves the
right to remove preprints and has done so for some preprints once they
- A Condition for Distinguishing Sceneries on Non-abelian Groups.
Available on arXiv.
- A lower bound for the Chung-Diaconis-Graham random process. Available
- Generating random vectors in (Z/pZ)^d via an affine random process, with
J. McCollum. Available on arXiv.
- A Survey of Results on Random Random Walks on Finite Groups - a survey
has now appeared in Probability
- Analysis of the Diaconis-Holmes-Neal Markov Chain Sampler for
Log Concave Probabilities (January 15, 2002)
- The Proof of a Conjecture of Simion (preliminary version, August 25, 2000)
- Some Specialized Comparison Techniques for Doubly Stochastic Finite
Markov Chains (January 16, 2001)
- Note: Many of the ideas in this preprint appear in my article
"A Note on Various Holding Probabilities for Random Lazy Random
Walks on Finite Groups" in
Statistics and Probability Letters. Thus I've removed the links to
- Random Lazy Random Walks on Arbitrary Finite Groups (preliminary version,
October 22, 1999)
- The Proof of a Conjecture of Simion for Certain Partitions
(An updated version has appeared in
Discrete Mathematics, and so I've
removed the link to the preprint version.)
- "Rates of Convergence of the Diaconis-Holmes-Neal Markov Chain Sampler"
(formerly called "Rates of Convergence for a Non-Reversible
Markov Chain Sampler" and "Rates of Convergence for a
Version of the Metropolis Algorithm")
- Some Random Processes Related to Affine
- A Census of Cusped Hyperbolic 3-Manifolds,
with P. Callahan and J. Weeks. (This has appeared
Mathematics of Computation. Go there!)