David K. Wiles
|B.S. Education (Social Studies)||Florida State University||1964
| M.Ed. Education (Political Science)||University of Florida||1967
|Ed.D. Educational Administration||University of Florida||1969
- Assistant Professor, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
(University of Toronto),1969-1971.
- Associate Professor, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University,
- Associate Professor, Miami University (Ohio) 1975-1977, Full Professor,
- Professor, The University at Albany, State University of New York,
1978-1979 to date.
- Steering Committee, Workforce Preparation Project of Fulton and Montgomery County BOCES, 1993-1996.
- Plenary Session Representative, University Council on Educational Administration, 1991 to 1995, Staff Associate, 1971-1972.
- Executive Board, Collegiate Association of Departments of Educational Administration in New York State, 1991 to 1996, Secretary-Treasurer 1989-1991.
- Chair, Public Services Workgroup, Capital Region Information Services Project (CRISNY), 1993 to 1995.
- Public Policy Professor's Group, Rockefeller College Department of Public Affairs, 1982 to date.
- Chairperson, Southern Regional Council for Educational Administration, 1976-1977.
- Visiting Scholar, National Institute of Education, Winter 1976.
- Chairperson, Politics of Education Association, 1977-1978.
- National Fellow, American Council on Education, Class of 1979.
- Networking High Performance in New York's Secondary Education ( Lanham,
Maryland: University Press of America)1996.
- Practical Politics for School Administrators, (co-authored) Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 1981.
- Energy, Winter & Schools: Analysis of Decision Crisis, Lexington Mass: Lexington Books. 1979.
- Political Interpretations of Educational Administration New York: MSS Press,1977.
- Changing Perspective of Educational Research, Columbus: Charles A. Jones Company, 1971.
Selected Policy Research Efforts
- Tuitioning Secondary Students in Remote Rural Upstate New York. 1993-1994, funded by the Newcomb Board of Education.
- Handicapped Education and Employment Project, 1983-1985, funded through New York State Education Department.
- Warren-Sussex County (NJ) Community College Feasibility Study, 1985, funded by Warren and Sussex counties and New Jersey Department of Education.
- Public Schools and Fundamental Churches in Upstate New York and Vermont, 1982-83, funded by Spencer Foundation.
- Energy Conservation in Columbus and Cincinnati School Systems, 1977-78, funded by Miami University.
- Toronto's Two Tiered Education Governance System, 1970-71, sponsored by Ontario Ministry of Education and Ontario Institute for Studies in Education.
Work-in-Progress During the l995-l996 Academic Year
- "Constructing Meanings of Rural Poverty Classification" in Informing
Rural Education Policy: Translating Data Into Decisions, National Center
for Educational Statistics and Rural Policy Research Institute,
Washington DC, September l995
- "Policy Implications for Children's Demographics and the School District
Data Book"presentedby the Mesa Group, Hudson Valley Community
College,Troy, New York, December 1995.
- "Informing Rural Education Polcy for New York State," briefing paper
for Synectics of Management Decisions, Inc. December l995
- "Comparing Community ZIP Code and School District Meanings of Rural
Poverty" New York State Network for Economic Research-in-Progress
Conference, Albany, December l995
- "School District Rankings and Report Cards in District Reform"
Educational Issues Symposium. Eastern Suffolk BOCES, March, l996
- "Public School Leader's Perception of the Impact of a Ranking
Process on the Greater School Community" New England Educational Research
Association, Portmouth New Hampshire, April, l996
Selected Articles, Chapters
Note: Since 1970, have published more than thirty five chapters, journal
articles and technical monographs. The following are those most relevant
to my current research activities and interests.
- "Diversity Curriculum in Public Schools Without Minority Pupils" Rural
Educator, Volume 15, no.1, Spring 1994.
- "What is Useful Policy Information in School Consolidation Debates?"
Journal of Educational Finance , Volume 19, no. 3, Spring 1994.
- "Using State Level Information to Assess Possible Rural Undercount of
Ethnic Populations in the 1990 Census: The New York State Illustration"
Proceedings: 1993 Research Conference on Undercounted Populations,
Washington: U.S. Department of Commerce, issued October 1995 Chapter 16.
- "American Perceptions of Italian Political Styles", Second International
Conference Proceedings: University at Albany-University of Salerno,
Albany: University at Albany, Spring 1990.
- "Comparison of Severe and Non-Severe Diagnostic Classifications in the
Selection of Eligible OVR Clients and Persons Refused Service, " Albany:
Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, New York State Education Department,1985.
- "Political Analysis of the New York Educational Conference Board" The
Council Journal, Volume 7, 1982*.
- "The Pendulum Dynamics of Change" Journal of Higher Education, Volume 14,
- "The Logic of Y=f(X) in the Study of Educational Politics," Educational
Evaluation and Policy Analysis Volume 3, no. 2., April 1981.
- "Administration and the Concept of Technology," UCEA Review, Volume 20,
- "Organizations Facing Retrenchment: Guidelines From Economic Theory," in
E. Mosher and J. Wagoner (ed) The Changing Politics of Education (Berkeley: McCutchan
Publishing Co. , 1978) Chapter 6.
- "In School Suspension Practices and the Prison Hospital Experience,"
NOLPE School Law Journal Volume 6, no. 1 Spring 1978*.
- "Process of Change: Revisiting General Premises of Politicized
Adaptation" Educational Planning Volume 3, no. 4 March 1977.
- "Decentralization, Community Control and Consolidation: Impact Upon Boards
of Education" in Peter Cistone (ed) Understanding School Boards (Lexington
Books, 1975) Chapter 11.
- "Resource Availability and Policy in Education," Educational Forum Volume
39, no. 3 March 1975.
- "Reversing the Growing Irrelevance of Urban Boards of Education " Teachers
College Record, volume 75, no. 3 February 1974*.
- "Some Comments on Socio-Economic Policy Alternatives in National
Development: A Parametric Programming Analysis" Behavioral Science, Volume
19, no. l, January 1974.
- "Politics and Planning: A Rationale for Synthesis in Educational
Adminstration" Educational Administration Quarterly, Spring 1974.
- "Structure, Process and Budgetary Decision Making" in Issues in the
Political Economy of Canadian Education (Economic Council of Canada, 1971 ) Chapter 11.
* - coauthored
Doctoral Dissertations Chaired
- completed: one at VPI&SU, ten at Miami University, fourteen at Albany.
Seven in progress.