University at Albany, SUNY
Department of Geography and Planning
My research focuses on policy innovation in housing and community development at state and local levels, and the efficacy of advocacy in the face of expansive and opaque policy structures and agents. As the primary sites of policy innovation and implementation during today’s post-federal era, state capitals and city halls have become critical sites of policy and planning contests. I examine housing and community development policies and practices at these levels, asking such questions as:
This research is relevant to those engaged in developing and implementing policies and programs that ensure the affordability, equity, and livability of urban neighborhoods.
Through my research, I have explored:
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Scally, Corianne Payton. 2012. “Community Development Corporations, Policy Networks, and the Rescaling of Community Development Advocacy.” Environment & Planning C: Government & Policy 30(4): 712-729.
- Scally, Corianne Payton and Richard Koenig. 2012. “Beyond NIMBY & Poverty Deconcentration: Reframing the Outcomes of Affordable Rental Housing Development.” Housing Policy Debate 22(3): 435-461.
- Scally, Corianne Payton. 2012. “The Past and Future of Housing Policy Innovation: The Case of U.S. State Housing Trust Funds.” Housing Studies 27(1): 127-150.
- Scally, Corianne P. 2009. State Housing Finance Agencies 40 Years Later: Major or Minor Players in Affordable Housing?" Journal of Planning Education and Research 29(2): 194-212.
- Basolo, Victoria and Corianne P. Scally. 2008. "State Innovations in Affordable Housing Policy: Lessons from California and New Jersey." Housing Policy Debate 19(4): 741-774.
- Glickman, Norman J. and Corianne P. Scally. 2008. "Can Community and Education Organizing Improve Inner-City Schools?" Journal of Urban Affairs 30(5): 557-577.
- Scally, Corianne P. 2010. “Affordable Rental Housing Development: Why, Why Not, and What Difference Does it Make? Perceptions, Opportunities, Barriers and Outcomes in Six New York State Jurisdictions.” Prepared for New York State Homes & Community Renewal.
- Scally, Corianne P. 2010. “Measuring Up: Evaluating Affordable Rental Housing at the Project, Household and Community Scales – Recommendations for New York State.” Prepared for the New York State Division of Housing & Community Renewal.
- Timothy Malone, Megan Loveday, Gene Bunnell, David Lewis, and Corianne P. Scally. 2010. "Building Your Byway From the Ground Up: A Guide Book for New York State Scenic Byway Planning." Prepared for the Hudson River Valley Greenway.
- Scally, Corianne. “Preserving New York’s Preservation Companies.” Rooflines: The Shelterforce Blog, February 21, 2012,
- Scally, Corianne P. 2008. “Decoding Housing Finance Agencies.” Shelterforce Summer (154): 34-37.
- Scally, Corianne P. 2005. "Housing Ex-Offenders." Shelterforce January/February (139): 10-11.
- Scally, Corianne, and Kathe Newman. 2003. "Housing Barriers to Prisoner Reentry in New Jersey." Prepared for the New Jersey Institute for Social Justice.