New York State Writers Institute Distinguished Writer-in-Residence and MacArthur Fellow Lydia Davis will conduct a Fiction Master Class Workshop during the fall 2005 semester. The workshop is intended for advanced writers -writers who have at least one publication in a literary journal. It will be an intensive five-session workshop.
The Fiction Master Class Workshop is scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday evenings (October 11, 18, 20, 25, and 27) from 6 to 9 p.m. Classes will be held on the University at Albany's uptown campus. The workshop is offered free of charge for no credit, and will be limited to ten writers, made up of both non-University writers and a few UAlbany students who are enrolled in the English Department's Masters or Doctoral programs. To be considered, submit manuscripts to the Writers Institute according to the guidelines listed below.
Follow These Guidelines
- All manuscripts must be typewritten, or printed from a computer, double-spaced.
- All submissions must include a separate cover sheet with name, address, work and home telephone numbers, e-mail address, and the title of your submission and a publication list.
- Please submit no more than 15 pages of fiction, which can consist of a selection of short-short stories, a traditional narrative short story, or an excerpt from a novel. Clearly indicate the title of each piece. Include a brief (250-500 words) description of the project you would like to work on in the workshop. To insure a blind selection process, do not put your name on the pages of your submission.
- Be sure to keep a copy of your work as your manuscript will not be returned to you.
- Manuscripts delivered in person will be accepted up until 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 15, 2005. Mailed manuscripts must be postmarked not later than Monday, September 12, 2005. Faxes or e-mails will not be accepted. Faxes or e-mails will not be accepted.
- Notification of acceptance will be by Tuesday, October 4th. Please do not call regarding the status of your manuscript. We regret that neither Ms. Davis nor the Institute can comment on manuscripts by writers not selected.
- Mail manuscripts to:
Davis Fiction Master Class Workshop NYS Writers Institute
New Library 320
University at Albany, SUNY
Albany, NY 12222