New York State Writers Institute Writer-in-Residence James Lasdun will conduct an intermediate/advanced poetry workshop during the fall 2005 semester. This workshop will give students who have some writing experience opportunities to develop and revise poems. Course work will include close reading of selected texts, as well as discussion of students' writing. The workshop is scheduled for eight Friday nights (September 30, October 14, 21, November 4, 18, December 9, 16, one date TBA) from 6 to 9:00 p.m. The class will be held on the University at Albany's uptown campus. The workshop is offered free of charge for non-credit, and will be limited to twelve writers. To be considered, submit poetry manuscripts to the Writers Institute according to the guidelines listed below. Due to the volume of manuscripts received from previous workshops, we must insist that you follow the guidelines exactly.
Follow These Guidelines
- All manuscripts must be typewritten or printed from a computer.
- Submit no more than five pages of poems that have been written recently. Include a brief unsigned statement of interest and experience (200-500 words).
- All submissions also must include a separate cover sheet with name, address, work and home telephone numbers, and e-mail address. Do not put your name on any other pages of your submission.
- Be sure to keep a copy of your work, as your manuscript will not be returned to you.
- Writers enrolled in a University at Albany writing class for the fall 2005 semester, whether graduate or undergraduate, are not eligible. Auditing is not permitted.
- Manuscripts delivered in person will be accepted up until 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 6, 2005. Mailed manuscripts must be postmarked not later than Wednesday, August 31, 2005. Faxes or e-mails will not be accepted.
- Notification of acceptance will be by Thursday, September 22nd. (Persons accepted into the workshop must have an e-mail address for the purpose of distributing manuscripts.) Please do not call regarding the status of your manuscript. We regret that neither Mr. Lasdun nor the Institute can comment on manuscripts by writers not selected.
- Mail manuscripts to:
Lasdun Poetry Workshop NYS Writers Institute
New Library 320
University at Albany, SUNY
Albany, NY 12222