New York State Writers Institute Distinguished Writer-in-Residence Lydia Davis will conduct an Advanced Poetry Workshop during the Fall 2004 semester. The workshop is intended for advanced writers—writers who have at least one publication in a literary journal. It will be an intensive five-session workshop.
The workshop is scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday evenings (September 30, October 5, 7, 12, and 14) from 6 to 9 p.m. The class will take place on the University at Albany’s uptown campus. The workshop is offered free of charge for non-credit, and will be limited to 10 writers, made up of both non-University writers and a few UAlbany students who are enrolled in the English Department's Masters or Doctoral programs. To be considered, submit manuscripts to the Writers Institute according to the guidelines listed below. Due to the volume of manuscripts received from previous workshops, we must insist that you follow the guidelines exactly.
Follow These Guidelines for the Workshop
1. All manuscripts must be typewritten or printed from a computer, and double-spaced.
2. All submissions must include one separate cover sheet with name, address, work and home telephone numbers, the title of your submission and a publication list.
3. Please submit no more than 15 pages of fiction, which can consist of a selection of short-short stories, a traditional narrative short story, or an excerpt from a novel. Clearly indicate the title of each piece. Include a brief (250-500 words) description of the project you would like to work on in the workshop. To insure a blind selection process, do not put your name on the pages of your submission.
4. Be sure to keep a copy of your work, as your manuscript will not be returned to you.
5. Manuscripts delivered in person will be accepted up until 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 14, 2004. Mailed manuscripts must be postmarked not later than Friday, September 10, 2004. Faxes or e-mails will not be accepted. Auditing of the class is not allowed.
7. Notification of acceptance will be by Friday, September 24th. Please do not call regarding the status of your manuscript. We regret that neither Ms. Davis nor the Institute can comment on manuscripts by writers not selected.
8. Please note that our offices have moved. Drop off or mail manuscripts to:
NYS Writers Institute
New Library, LE 320
University at Albany, SUNY
Albany, NY 12222