New York State Writers Institute Writer-in-Residence James Lasdun will conduct an intermediate/advanced fiction writing workshop during the Fall 2002 semester. This workshop will give students who have some writing experience opportunities to develop and revise short stories. Course work will include close reading of selected texts, as well as discussion of students' writing.
The workshop is scheduled for ten Thursday nights (September 19, 26; October 3, 10, 17, 24; November 14, 21; December 5, 12) from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. On Thursday November 7th, James Lasdun will read from his work in the Writers Institute's Visiting Writers Series. The class will be held on the University at Albany's uptown campus. The workshop is offered free of charge for non-credit, and will be limited to twelve writers. To be considered, submit fiction manuscripts to the Writers Institute according to the guidelines listed below. Due to the volume of manuscripts received from previous workshops, we must insist that you follow the guidelines exactly.
Guidelines for Workshop
1. All manuscripts must be typewritten, double-spaced.
2. Submit no more than 10 pages of fiction prose (no poetry, plays, or nonfiction) that has been written recently. It need not be all one piece, but it should represent your work. Include a brief unsigned letter of interest.
3. All submissions must include one separate cover sheet with name, address, work and home telephone numbers, and the title of the piece. Do not put your name on any other pages of your submission.
4. Be sure to keep a copy of your work, as your manuscript will not be returned to you.
5. Writers enrolled in a University at Albany writing class for the Fall 2002 semester, whether graduate or undergraduate, and writers who participated in the Benedict workshop during Spring 2002, are not eligible. Auditing is not permitted.
6. Manuscripts delivered in person will be accepted up until 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 8, 2002. Mailed manuscripts must be postmarked not later than Monday, August 5, 2002. Faxes or e-mails will not be accepted.
7. Notification of acceptance will be by Wednesday, September 11th. Please do not call regarding the status of your manuscript. We regret that neither Mr. Lasdun nor the Institute can comment on manuscripts by writers not selected.
8. Mail manuscripts to:
NYS Writers Institute, HU 355
University at Albany, SUNY
Albany, NY 12222