Summer and Fall Semester: February/March
Applications needing Committee on Academic Standing review received past APRIL 16 will NOT be honored or reviewed for Summer or Fall readmission.
Winter and Spring Semester: September/October
Applications needing Committee on Academic Standing review received past NOVEMBER 16 will NOT be honored or reviewed for Winter or Spring readmission.
The above timelines are established in order to allow for a timely decision and to enable readmitted students to early register. If you have any prior financial obligations to the University or holds on your record, you must clear them before you can register. On the application for readmission, you should apply for the term in which you wish to begin your studies; if you intend to pursue summer coursework here, it is necessary to apply for summer.
Determining if you should apply for Reenrollment or Readmission
- Is your cumulative Grade Point Average BELOW a 2.00?*
- Were you Academically Dismissed? *
- Did you leave the University at Albany for medical reasons?**
- Have you been away from the University at Albany for more than six consecutive semesters? (Summer Terms are NOT considered semesters.)
If you answered NO to ALL of the above questions, you only need to complete a REENROLLMENT NOTIFICATION FORM.
If you answered YES to ANY of the above, you need to complete an APPLICATION FOR READMISSION.
* If you answered YES to questions 1 or 2, in addition to a Readmission Application, you also need to complete a PETITION TO THE COMMITTEE ON ACADEMIC STANDING. Since requests for readmission from students who were academically dismissed or who have a cumulative average of less than 2.00 require recommendations from other offices as well as review by the Committee on Academic Standing, such cases can take longer to process. Given this, it is necessary to apply according to the timelines above. You should also be aware that the Committee does not follow its regular meeting schedule in the summer months; timeliness, therefore, is of particular importance.
IF COURSEWORK IS CURRENTLY BEING PURSUED ELSEWHERE, ARRANGEMENTS SHOULD BE MADE TO HAVE MID-TERM GRADES FORWARDED TO THIS OFFICE OR TO HAVE PROFESSORS SEND LETTERS ON DEPARTMENT LETTERHEAD INDICATING THE CURRENT GRADE IN THE COURSE.
** If you answered YES to question 3, in addition to a Readmission Application, you also need to contact either the University Counseling Center or University Health Center (whichever center processed your medical withdrawal). Medical clearance is always required as part of the readmission process. The treating physician or treatment facility must submit evidence of treatment and of recovery from the medical problem to the appropriate Center. This letter should contain the following information: 1) Diagnosis; 2) Treatment (with inclusive dates); 3) Degree of recovery; 4) Prognosis; and 5) Recommendations for treatment while at college and ability to resume full‑time study. The letter will be kept as part of the student's medical record; it is not included in the academic record.
ALL STUDENTS should utilize the RETURNING STUDENT CHECKLIST WITH IMPORTANT UNIVERSITY PHONE NUMBERS to assure a smooth transition back into the University.
Links to Forms
Reenrollment Notification Form
Readmission Petition to the Committee on Academic Standing
Returning Student Checklist