Lisa Lillien, B.A.’87
Lord of the Onion Rings
Prep: 20 minutes ~ Cooking: 25 minutes
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 cup Fiber One Original bran cereal
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp. onion powder, or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp. salt, or more to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
[HG FYI: You’ll only need about 1/4 cup, but using 1/2 cup
makes it soooo much easier.]
- Optional dip: Vivi’s Original Sauce Classic Carnival Mustard
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Slice the ends off the onion and remove its outer layer.
- Cut onion into half-inch-wide slices and separate into rings. Set aside.
- Using a blender or food processor, grind cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency.
Season crumbs with the spices and transfer to a plate or bowl. Set aside.
- Pour egg substitute into a small bowl. Prepare a baking sheet (or two) with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Using tongs or a fork, dip the onion rings into the egg substitute, shaking each one lightly to remove the excess.
- Coat each ring with the seasoned crumbs. Evenly place rings on the baking sheet(s).
- Bake until each ring is crispy outside and soft inside, about 20-25 minutes, carefully flipping rings midway through.
- Serve with mustard, if desired. Enjoy!
Makes one serving. Calories: 155
1g fat; 515mg sodium; 41g carbs; 16g fiber; 7g sugars; 9g protein; PointsPlus® value: 4