In the absence of state funding in the 1920s, faculty and alumni(ae) mounted a drive to raise money to build dormitories. Here students urge contributions. By the early 1930s the Alumni Association's committee had raised $293,000 in pledges. A women's dormitory (renamed Pierce Hall in 1941) was opened for 162 students in the Fall of 1935, and one for men (Sayles Hall) was opened in 1941. (Alumni Memorabilia Collection.)
<>