William J. Milne, President from 1889 to 1914, led the institution
through a quarter century of substantial change. The Normal School
became the New York State Normal College in 1890 and focused on
teaching the foundations of education. In 1905 a new plan was
adopted, under the guidance of the state Commissioner of Education
(Andrew Draper), that provided for a four-year course of study with
a strong liberal arts core. In 1914 the College became known
officially as the New York State College for Teachers.