How to Identify Hazing
Make the following inquiries of each activity to determine whether or not it is hazing.
- Is this activity an educational experience?
- Is alcohol involved?
- Does participation violate my values or those of my organization?
- Does the activity risk emotional or physical abuse?
- Is there risk of injury or a question of safety?
- Do you have any reservation describing the activity to your parents, to a professor or University official?
- Would you object to the activity being photographed for the school newspaper or filmed by the local TV news crew?
If the answer to any of these questions is "yes," the activity is probably hazing.