Step-by-Step Application Process
For more detailed information see the links at the right.
- Check your department’s deadlines. Each area operates on its own admissions schedule. Application deadlines for each department can be found in the Program Deadlines and Requirements area of this website.
- Gather these necessary application materials:
- Statement of background and goals
- Departmental questionnaire
- Graduate Assistantship/Fellowship Application
- Names and contact information for 3 recommenders (if you do not have 3 names, indicate “TBD” on the recommender section in the application). If you choose online recommendation submission, recommenders will automatically be sent the online recommendation form once you save their information in your application.
- Create an application account and submit the Application and Application Fee.
- Submit official transcripts from each institution you have attended in either of two ways:
- The Registrar’s Office at your prior institution may mail your transcript directly to UAlbany’s Office of Graduate Admissions, or
- If you prefer that your prior institution mail your transcript to you, please make sure that you then mail the transcript to UAlbany in its original, sealed envelope.
Transcripts mailed by your prior institution, or by you, should be sent to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222
- Please note: If you have previously attended the University at Albany, you do not need to request a transcript from our Registar's Office to be sent to Graduate Admissions.
- Please Note: We do not accept unofficial transcripts that were uploaded to your online application. Official transcript are required to complete your application materials.
- Submit official standardized test scores, if required. Many UAlbany departments require applicants to take a standardized test such as the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). Check the Program Deadlines and Requirements section of this website to see if the department you are applying to requires applicants to take any standardized tests.
For more information about standardized tests, see the Standardized Tests for Admission section of this website.
Please note that several programs require area-specific statements of purpose, forms, questionnaires, or portfolio samples. Those too may be found within our Program Deadlines and Requirements section of this website, along with a link to the necessary forms.
Important to Know
You will find many answers to your questions here on our website, but here are a few more items you should be aware of at the beginning:
- Application deadlines for your program of interest can be found in the Program Deadlines and Requirements section of this website.
- Part-Time Study. Some programs require students to attend full time while others do not. Check in the Program Deadlines and Requirements section of this website for specific regulations.
- Campus Locations. Currently, the University offers coursework at three campus locations in New York’s Capital Region: Uptown Campus, Downtown Campus and East Campus.
- Online Programs. The University offers a selection of online programs. Information about the available programs and courses can be found here.
- Funding Graduate Study. Funding may be available from a variety of sources, which are summarized on the Tuition, Costs and Financial Support section of this website.
- Admission Deposit. The University requires a non-refundable Graduate Admission Deposit in the amount of $250 in order to secure your confirmation of admission.
- Housing. Currently, the University does not offer housing for graduate students. The Department of Residential Life maintains a Housing Registry, however, that can help with your search for off-campus housing.
- International Students. The University at Albany welcomes students from around the world, annually enrolling approximately 1,000 individuals representing nearly 80 nations. All international applicants apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions. To find out more, visit the International Students section of this website or visit UAlbany’s International Student Scholar Services website.
If you are ready, you can begin the easy online application process.