Non-Degree Social Work Program

Would you like to explore the field of social work before committing to the University at Albany-SUNY MSW program? Non-degree study options can help you do that-and give you a head start on the MSW coursework as well. You can also use non-degree programs to demonstrate your capability to do graduate-level work.

Courses Available

Current Non-degree Class Schedule 

Non-degree Course descriptions 

(The course schedule for the fall semester is typically available in mid-July; for the spring semester, typically mid-November; for the Summer semester, typically mid-April.)

School of Social Welfare students discussing work after classApplying for Non-Degree Status

Submit a non-degree application, official transcripts, and fee to the Office of Graduate Admissions. The application and fee payment form are available on the Graduate Education website.

Once you are authorized for non-degree study at the University, you are eligible to take courses for up to 2 years. There is no need to re-apply each semester.

Registering for Non-Degree Courses

For details on how to enroll in a course as a non-degree student, see our Non-Degree Student Registration page.