Combined MSW/Ph.D. Admissions
The joint MSW/Ph.D. is an accelerated program that allows highly qualified students with no MSW to earn two graduate degrees with just 84 credits (rather than the 96 required to earn the degrees separately).
Students who complete the program can potentially gain licensure as an LCSW and work in practice settings as well as pursue careers in academia or research.
Application to the joint MSW/PH.D. program is completed through the University's office of Graduate Admissions. All applications must be submitted on the official application form.
Friday, January 30, 2015
This deadline includes all regular and advanced standing applicants. All application materials must be electronically submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
Transcripts should be sent directly to:
Office of Graduate Education
University at Albany
UAB, Room 121
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222
In order to qualify for the Joint MSW/Ph.D. program, students must:
- Have a satisfactory record in all course and seminar study;
- Complete satisfactorily the research tool requirements;
- Complete at least two acceptable substantive courses outside the School of Social Welfare;
- Complete satisfactorily the qualifying examination, including a doctoral essay;
- Complete satisfactorily the pre-dissertation research requirement;
- Submit an acceptable dissertation based on independent research.
To learn more about the program and applications process, email or call the School of Social welfare at (518) 442-5380.