Joint MSW/Ph.D. Admissions
The joint MSW/Ph.D. is an accelerated program that allows highly qualified students without a MSW degree to earn two graduate degrees with just 83 credits (rather than the 96 required to earn the degrees separately).
Students who complete the program can potentially gain licensure as an LCSW and work in practice settings as well as pursue careers in academia or research.
Application to the joint MSW/PH.D. program is completed through the University's office of Graduate Admissions. All applications must be submitted on the official application form.
This deadline includes all New regular and advanced standing applicants.
Current MSW Students-November 1st
This deadline includes current MSW students attending the University at Albany's Social Work program. It is ideal to apply after the completion of the 1st semester in the master's program.
Application materials must be electronically submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions for all applicants.
Transcripts should be sent directly to:
Office of Graduate Education
University at Albany
UAB, Room 121
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222
In order to qualify for the Joint MSW/Ph.D. program, students must:
- Have a satisfactory record in all coursework;
- Complete satisfactorily the research tool requirements;
- Complete at least two acceptable substantive courses outside the School of Social Welfare;
- Complete satisfactorily the qualifying examination, including a doctoral essay;
- Complete satisfactorily the pre-dissertation research requirement;
- Submit an acceptable dissertation based on independent research.
To learn more about the program and applications process, email or call the School of Social welfare at (518) 442-5380.