Applying to the UAlbany School of Social Welfare

All social work applicants, with a few exceptions (see Undergraduate Programs below), apply to the School of Social Welfare through the UAlbany Admissions Office (undergraduate or graduate level). Before applying, though, please read the requirements below that apply to you. .

Undergraduate Programs

Students wishing to become an undergraduate social work major must apply to the School of Social Welfare in the spring semester of their sophomore year. Applications for admission to the program are only accepted in the spring for the following fall semester. No part-time study programs are available.

The specific application procedure depends on your current status:

  • If you’re currently a UAlbany student, submit one application directly to the School.
  • If you’re not currently a UAlbany student, you’ll need to submit two applications: one for admission to the University, one for admission to the School. Visit Apply as a Transfer Student for the proper procedure.

Graduate Programs


Graduates of the MSW program lead government agencies, administer hospitals, direct nonprofits, advocate for changes in social welfare policy, and build private practices. For details of the admissions process and requirements—including the Advanced Standing Program—click the MSW Admissions page, call the  Office of Graduate Admissions, or contact the School of Social Welfare Help Desk at 518.442.5320.


At UAlbany-SUNY, Ph.D. students in social work collaborate with faculty of international reputation while conducting research in the areas that intrigue them most. For details, please visit the Ph.D. Curriculum page, or call the School of Social Welfare Help Desk at 518.442.5320.


The joint MSW/Ph.D. program allows qualified students to earn both degrees with just 84 credits (instead of the 96 required to earn the degrees separately). To learn more about applying, visit our Joint MSW/Ph.D. Program page.