To be eligible for a PHLOT Tuition Award, all applicants must:
- Be a full-time employee at either a NYS local health department (LHD) or the NYS Dept of Health;
- Pursue and utilize tuition assistance through their employer/union, if available;
- Be enrolled in one of the following University at Albany School of Public Health Programs:
Certificate in Public Health Fundamentals & Principles
Master of Public Health
Online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice
Doctor of Public Health
In-state graduate tuition awards are available to NYS LHD or NYS DOH employees only.
-Awards are first-come, first-served based on availability of funds per semester.
-Awards are issued in the priority order below (determined between SPH and NYS DOH based on their funding agreement)
- LHD Directors who are required to complete the certificate, MPH, or specific coursework;
- LHD staff pursuing a first graduate degree in public health (certificate or MPH);
- NYS DOH staff pursuing a first graduate degree in public health (certificate or MPH);
- LHD or NYS DOH staff taking non-degree courses with the intent to pursue a certificate or degree;
- LHD or NYS DOH staff registered for an independent study or internship (non-PHLOT funded)
- LHD or NYSDOH staff pursuing a DrPH or PhD
-Due to limited funding, tuition awards are limited to a MAXIMUM of up to three (3) credits per student per semester. Students are responsible for payment of tuition above and beyond the three (3) credits.
-Awards cover TUITION ONLY. All other fees (student/late fees, books, etc) are the student's responsibility.
-Students who drop or withdraw from courses after the last day to drop a semester length course will be responsible for payment of tuition & fees for the dropped course. Unless extenuating circumstances are demonstrated, future funding will be impacted. This also applies to PHLOT-funded students who FAIL a course. PHLOT will not cover the tuition for the repeated course.
Accepting a PHLOT Tuition Award means that students have reviewed and agree to adhere to the guidelines stated in the PHLOT Tuition Award Fact Sheet.
Once accepted into a School of Public Health program (see "Eligibility Requirements" above for available programs) all interested PHLOT applicants must submit:
- A Tuition Award Request Form during each semester you enroll in courses;
- Documentation of tuition assistance pursued/used through your employer/union;
- Verification of full-time employment status (e.g., copy of ID, letter from employer)
Timely course registration and submission date of the Request Form also determines tuition awards.
Changes in contact information or program status must be communicated to the Program Coordinator.
For more information on PHLOT tuition awards, contact:
Susan Bernardi-Bain, Program Coordinator
School of Public Health, University at Albany
One University Place, Room 118
Rensselaer, NY 12144