Students will be admitted on a competitive basis. Only applicants who meet the following requirements will be considered for admission to the program:
- MPH, or other master’s degree in health, social science, or a related field, from an accredited American college or university or a well-regarded foreign college or university
- At least two years work experience in public health or related field, preferably for an uninterrupted period of time, typically, but not always, following completion of a masters degree program.
Note: Applicants without a master’s degree who are interested in the DrPH program should first apply to the Master of Public Health program. Qualified students in the MPH program may apply to the DrPH program during their last year of MPH study.
Note:Students with a master’s degree other than an MPH will be required to take all MPH core courses not previously taken.
The due date for applications is January 1.
To apply to the DrPH program, students must submit an application through the centralized Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS).
If you are applying to only the University at Albany School of Public Health, you may request an application directly from the office of Graduate Studies at www.albany.edu/graduate.
The application should include (but not limited to):
- Application for Graduate Admission, including application fee
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- TOEFL scores (international students only)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from academic/professional sources (one letter must be from work experience, and one from an academic source if the applicant has been a student within the past five years)
- Personal statement describing previous professional experience, intended area of DrPH concentration, and specific educational interests and career goals in public health. The student must demonstrate commitment to the practice of public health. The personal statement should be 2-3 pages, with at least one page discussing applicable public health or related work experience.
Note: GRE and/or MCAT scores are not required. However, if the applicant has taken the GRE or MCAT, a copy of the test results should be included in the application.
The DrPH Admissions Committee will evaluate each application based on the applicant’s demonstrated ability to excel at graduate work and evidence, contained in the application, that the applicant has clearly defined career goals that can be advanced by completing the DrPH program.
The program may offer financial assistantship to qualified students. For more information please visit UAlbany financial aid site.
Applicants who pass an initial review of their completed application will be invited to be interviewed by the DrPH Admissions Committee. These interviews are required.