Renowned Surgeon, Best-Selling Author
Atul Gawande to Speak January 16
Contact: Deborah Oriola, 518-402-0358
ALBANY, N.Y. (December 3, 2012) — Renowned surgeon and author Atul Gawande, MD, will be the keynote speaker in a forum exploring ways to improve health care in the U.S., “Health Care in the 21st Century: A Community Call to Action,” on Wednesday, January 16, in the Hart Theatre at the Empire State Plaza’s The Egg in Albany.
Atul Gawande, MD
A Harvard University professor and research director for the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Center for Surgery and Public Health in Boston, Mass., Dr. Gawande is also a staff writer for The New Yorker magazine and the author of three best-selling books.
Widely known as “the thought leader on the future of health care,” he has received numerous awards, including the McArthur Fellowship, and is a sought-after lecturer on simple, common sense practices for doctors to better treat their patients.
Dr. Gawande’s lecture begins at 5 p.m. An interactive panel discussion with some of the Capital Region’s top health care and business leaders will follow.
Panelists scheduled to participate include:
James Barba, president & CEO, Albany Medical Center;
- Michael Castellana, CPA, President & CEO, SEFCU;
- James W. Connolly, President & CEO, Ellis Medicine;
- Edward L. Hannan, Distinguished Professor of Health Policy, Management and Behavior at UAlbany’s School of Public Health;
- Dr. James K. Reed, president, St. Peter’s Health Partners, which serves more than 135 locations through the Capital Region; and
- Dr. Louis Snitkoff, medical director, CapitalCare Medical Group, which serves 25 Capital Region locations.
The Gawande lecture is sponsored by The University at Albany School of Public Health and The University at Albany Foundation; the forum is presented by CDPHP®.
Admission to the event is free; however seating in the Hart Theatre is limited and on
a first-come, first-served basis. Preregistration is required.
Doors open at 4:15 p.m. To accommodate a capacity crowd, the event will also be simulcast in the Swyer Theatre at The Egg. Parking is available for $5 in the V-Lot at the Empire State Plaza.
Visit The Egg for directions and parking details.