Expertise: Urban Sociology
- Office: 348 Arts & Sciences Building
- Phone: (518) 442-5458
- Mailing Address:
- 1400 Washington Ave.
Arts & Sciences 351
University at Albany
Albany, NY 12222
CV: Curriculum Vitae
- 1997 Ph.D., Sociology and Demography, Pennsylvania State University
- 1994 M.A., Sociology and Demography, Pennsylvania State University
- 1992 B.A., Sociology and Statistics, State University of New York Buffalo
Recent Research Projects
- Residential Segregation by SES in Turkey and the US – Income inequality exists in Turkey and the US at levels above the world average. The study of such stratification as it is reflected in geographic space is an important yet understudied topic. This study is the first to examine residential segregation by SES across all provinces and districts in Turkey using data from 2000 and later and compare such segregation to that in the US
- Residential Attainment and Health – My research team and I are engaged in ongoing research examining the residential attainment of households that have children with asthma and those with disabled persons of all ages.
- Housing Tenure and Residential Segregation – This study is the first to examine the segregation of minority homeowners and renters from whites. Analyses reveal that the segregation of black renters relative to whites is significantly lower than the segregation of black owners from whites, contrary to the notion that homeownership represents an endpoint in the residential assimilation process (published in Demography August 2013, v50).
- An Estimate of Housing Discrimination Against Same-Sex Couples – This is the first, national U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) study to examine housing discrimination against same-sex couples in the private rental market (June 2013). http://www.huduser.org/portal/publications/fairhsg/discrim_samesex.html
- Urban Sociology
- SOC 115 - Introduction to Sociology
- SOC 220 - Research Methods
- SOC 509 - Research Methods
- SOC 627 - Urbanization