Health Insurance coverage requirement for all UAlbany full-time (12 credits or more) domestic undergraduate students.
- All UAlbany full-time (12 credits or more) domestic undergraduate students are required to carry some form of health insurance.
- Once a student is enrolled as a full time undergraduate they will automatically be billed for the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) on their UAlbany student account and tuition E-bill. They are not automatically enrolled at this time.
Students have three options (some action should be taken before the deadline):
Waive out of SHIP
- Any student who owns or is included under a parent/guardian health insurance plan may “waive out” of enrollment in UAlbany’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) (see Waiving/Enrolling tab on left) during the open waiver period (see Important Dates tab on left). The student must be registered for at least 12 or more credits before submitting a waiver. There is a 2-3 business day lag from 12 credit enrollment until the student is loaded into waiver system. If the student attempts to submit a waiver without being registered for 12 or more credits (or too soon after the registration), they will receive an error that no student could be found. Waivers should be completed as soon as possible following full-time registration. Once a waiver is completed (by the deadline), any SHIP charge on the student account will be credited back to the account within 7 days.
Actively Enroll in SHIP
- Students who know they will need or want SHIP should actively enroll in the plan by filling out the on-line enrollment form (see Waiving/Enrolling tab on left). The student's information will be loaded into the UnitedHealthcare claims system sooner and they will receive their insurance card sooner.
- By actively enrolling student’s information will be loaded into the UnitedHealthcare claims system sooner and they will receive their insurance card sooner.
- By actively enrolling students can avoid further SHIP waiver e-mails.
Do Nothing (Do not waive by the deadline; do not actively enroll):
- These students will be automatically enrolled in SHIP AFTER the waiver deadline (see Important Dates tab on left).
- The student will be responsible for the SHIP charge on their student account. No exceptions are made.
- Students that are automatically enrolled in SHIP (they do not complete a waiver and do not actively enroll in the insurance) will not be loaded into the UnitedHealthcare claims system until after the wavier deadline. UnitedHealthcare will not show these students as enrolled or even have them in their claims system until after the waiver deadline. Any claims UnitedHealthcare receives will be held pending the list from UAlbany. It is therefore in the student’s best interest to actively enroll if you plan to take the insurance
The UAlbany Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is administered by UnitedHealthcare StudentResources.
- UnitedHealthcare administers the insurance coverage for UAlbany’s SHIP. Their web site for student health insurance provides extensive information about coverage. (www.uhcsr.com).
- UnitedHealthcare has network providers available throughout the United States and covers medical care outside the U.S. as well.
All full-time (12 credits or more) registered domestic undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in the UAlbany Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), unless proof of comparable coverage is submitted and approved. Independent study, correspondence, Internet, and television (TV) courses do not fulfill the Policy Eligibility requirements. UnitedHealthcare maintains its right to investigate student status and attendance records to verify that the Policy Eligibility requirements have been met. If UnitedHealthcare discovers that the Policy Eligibility requirements have not been met, its only obligation is refund of premium.
Eligible students who do enroll may also insure their Dependents. Eligible Dependents are the spouse and unmarried children under 19 years of age who are not self-supporting. Enrollment for dependents is done directly at UnitedHealthcare Student Resources: uhcsr.com.
Effective and Termination Dates
The annual UAlbany Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) becomes effective at 12:01 a.m., August 20, 2015 and terminates at 11:59 p.m., August 19, 2016. The spring/summer UAlbany Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) becomes effective at 12:01 a.m., January 19, 2016 and terminates at 11:59 p.m., August 19, 2016. Coverage terminates on that date or at the end of the period through which premium is paid, whichever is earlier. Dependent coverage will not be effective prior to that of the Insured or extend beyond that of the Insured.
The Policy is a Non-Renewable One Year Term Policy.
Premium Rates and Expiration Dates
If paying premiums by session, coverage expires as follows:
8/20/15 - 01/18/16
1/19/16 - 8/19/16