Adam Kress currently serves as assistant director of communications and assistant director of the Semester-in-Washington program for the Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy, University at Albany-SUNY.
In his primary role as Assistant Director of Communcations, Adam manages Rockefeller College's web presence and digital communcations strategy. Handling all day-to-day mantenance/support issues and managing larger projects like Concerto, Rockefeller's digitial signage system.
Adam also support's Rockefeller's capstone Semester in Washington progam. Living and working in Washingon for some five years, Adam's knowledge of city and professional contacts make him an excellent resource for students. He assists students as they find their way in the city, organizes special group events/tours, teaches, and helps students with assignment questions, particularly writing and researching.
He is also a doctoral candidate (ABD) in American Politics/Public Law at Rockefeller in the department of political science, with research focusing on the intersections of gender and legislative politics.
Adam holds a master's in gender and legislative politics from Rockefeller College (2009), a master's of public administration in government, politics and policy studies from Cornell University (2007) and dual bachelor's degrees from Elmira College in political science and public affairs with a minor in American studies (2005). He has been active in professional politics, serving first as an intern and then later as Senior Direct Marketing Consultant for United States Senator John Kerry (D-Mass.).
Adam is also the author of two book length collections of poetry and numerous individual poetic publications to his credit. In addition, Adam has a deep passion for and expert knowledge of the works of Chilean Nobel laureate Pablo Neruda.
He resides in Southern Maryland with his wife Amy and daughter Cora.
Selected Publications & Presentations:
- Kress, Adam. "Member Goals and the Expression of Gender Image." Presented at the 2011 annual meeting of the Southern Political Science Conference (SPSA), New Orleans, LA, January 6-9, 2011. (Funded by Department of Political Science Travel Grant - $500).
- Kress, Adam, Timothy Lindberg & Sally Friedman. "Matters of National Security: Gender Related Explanations for Variation in Legislator Press Release Activity." Presented at the 2010 MPSA National Conference, Chicago, IL. April 22-25, 2010. (Funded by GSO Travel Grant - $150).
- Kress, Adam. "Gender, Conservatism, and Identity: An assessment of the public image of Republican Congresswomen" Presented at the 2009 MPSA National Conference, Chicago, IL. April 2-5, 2009. (Funded by GSO Travel Grant - $275).
- Kress, Adam. Jessica Li. et al. "Trafficking Triage: An assessment of the public health consequences of the burgeoning human trafficking epidemic." 2008. Presented at 2009 Cornell Summit on Women's Issues in Global Health and Development, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. March 7, 2009.
- Kress, Adam. Timothy Marcantetti Lindberg. "Gauging Accessibility in the Digital Age: An analysis of global trends in online services provided by local municipalities." 2008. Presented at the 2008 International Conference on Public Administration (ICPA), University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN. September 2008. Also published in Proceedings of 2008 International Conference on Public Administration (4th), Volume 1. UESTC Press; 2008. ISBN: 978-7-81114-983-8. (Funded by Department of Political Science Travel Grant - $500).