Government Information Strategy and Management Concentration
The Career You Want. The Skills You Need.
U.S. News and World Report ranks Rockefeller College third (3rd) in the nation in Information Technology and Management among Graduate Schools of Public Affairs. Our Government Information Strategy and Management (GISM) specialization addresses public policy and management innovations that are the consequence of rapidly changing information and communication technologies (ICTs) and dramatic changes in the nature, amount, and availability of information in government and society.
GISM courses prepare students to understand and use information as an essential tool for problem solving and public management within single organizations and across multiple organizations, sectors, and levels of government. Drawing from public administration and other fields, students learn how policies, organizational factors, information content, and information and communication technologies influence decisions and performance. As a 5-course specialization in the MPA, GISM courses prepare students with knowledge, skills, and experience to lead and innovate in any public or nonprofit organization. As a 2- or 3-course specialization, GISM adds an essential understanding of the roles played by information, data, and technology in every policy domain and level of government.
In addition, the courses in this specialization also support related specialization in the doctoral programs in Public Administration and Policy and Information Science.
We stay at the cutting edge of these issues thanks to nearly 20 years of close collaboration among Rockefeller College, UAlbany’s award-winning Center for Technology in Government (CTG), and the Information Science program in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
Study Under Distinguished Faculty Experts
Government Information Strategy and Management Courses
- PAD 550 Foundations of Government Information Strategy and Management
- PAD 570 Government Information Strategy and Management: Comparative and International Perspectives (on-line)
- PAD 650 Building a Case for IT Investments in the Public Sector
- PAD 652 Seminar on Government Information Strategy and Management
- PAD 699 IT Innovation and Change Management in the Public Sector
- PAD 577 Information Technology, Globalization and Global Governance
- PAD 585 IT and Homeland Security
- PAD 611 Decision Making in Government and Administration
- PAD 615 Strategic Planning and Management
- PAD 524 Systems Thinking and Strategy Development
- PAD 614 Managerial Leadership in the Public Sector
Other Courses Available Across the University
- INF 522 Managing Information Technology
- IST 560 Information and Public Policy
- COM 659 Corporate Communication (topics course)
- ITM 601 Business Systems Analysis and Design
- ITM 611 Analysis and Design of Information-Decision Systems
Other GISM Courses at the undergraduate and graduate level
- PAD 305: Public Administration and Information Technologies
- PAD 750 Seminar on Social Perspectives to Information Technology in Public and Private Organizations
Recent Job & Internship Placements in Government Information
Strategy and Management