About Professor Matkin
David S.T. Matkin is an assistant professor and the vice chair of the Department of Public Administration and Policy. Dr. Matkin is also a faculty fellow at the Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government and a research fellow at the LeRoy Collins Institute at Florida State University. Dr. Matkin is also a member of the Executive Committee for the Association for Budgeting & Financial Management (www.abfm.org).
Dr. Matkin’s teaching and research interests are in public financial management. His research focuses on the governance of public retirement systems, internal controls and financial accountability, and debt financing. Dr. Matkin’s research on public pension systems has received support from the U.S. Social Security Administration’s Steven H. Sandell Grant Program.
Dr. Matkin’s academic articles can be found in the leading journals of public affairs, including the Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, Public Budgeting & Finance, Journal of Urban Affairs, American Review of Public Administration, Public Performance Management and Review, and Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting, and Financial Management. Dr. Matkin has also published more than six technical reports on local government pensions and other postemployment benefits (OPEBs) in Florida for the LeRoy Collins Institute. His pension-related media contributions include outlets such as the Bloomberg News, Associated Press, The Bond Buyer, CNN, Washington Post, Florida NPR, DebtWire, and major Florida newspapers.
Dr. Matkin completed his PhD in Public Administration at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas. He received his BS and MPA from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. Dr. Matkin grew up in Alberta, Canada.
- "The Consolidation of State-Administered Public Pension Systems in U.S. States" (Forthcoming) in Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting and Financial Management, with Gang Chen.
- "Report Card Update: Florida Municipal Pension Plans" (September 2014). Research report produced for the LeRoy Collins Institute, Florida State University, with Patrick Orecki (Rockefeller MPA Student).
- "Doing it Right: Recognizing best practices in Florida's municipal pensions" Technical Report published by the LeRoy Collins Institute; August 2013.
- "Recognizing and Responding to Retirement Obligations: Other Post-Employment Benefits in Florida Cities and Counties" (2013) in The American Review of Public Administration, 43(5), 558-580, with Alex Krivosheyev.
- "Why Public Resource Management Matters" (2011) in the Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 21(special issue), i113-i124, with Sharon Kioko, Justin Marlowe, Michael Moody, Dan Smith and Zhirong Jerry Zhao.
- "Before there was Enron, there was Orange County: A Study of Local Government Financial Accountability" (2010) in Public Budgeting and Finance, 30(3), 27-50.
- "Designing Accountable and Effective Economic Development Tax Incentives: A Study of Corporate Tax Credits in Kansas" (2010) in Public Performance & Management Review, 34(2), 166-188.
- "Metropolitan Governance: Institutional Roles and Interjurisdictional Cooperation" (2009) in the Journal of Urban Affairs, 31(1): 45-66, with H. George Frederickson.