About Professor Alaei
Kamiar Alaei serves as the Associate Dean for Global and Interdisciplinary Research, public service professor in the Department of Public Administration and Policy, the founding Director of the University at Albany’s Global Institute for Health and Human Rights (GIHHR) and the Advance Certificate in International Health and Human Rights.
In 2000, Kamiar and his brother Arash co-founded the first "Triangular Clinic" in Iran for People Living with HIV/AIDS, documented by the UN/WHO as a "Best Practice Model. Over the past fifteen years, his main focus has been on HIV/AIDS, drug policy, the linkage between health and human rights law, and health diplomacy in the most challenging region, Middle East. Following their work, Kamiar and Arash were illegally imprisoned by the Iranian government from 2008-2011, however, imprisonment didn’t stop them to continue their life passion on health initiatives even for their peer prisoners inside prison. After release, Alaei has been mainly a Principal Investigator for over $6 million federal and international grants. In 2002, before coming to the US, together with a couple of international consultants, he authored a major proposal to develop HIV/AIDS programs in Iran, which was awarded $15.8 million by the Global Fund.
Alaei has authored and co-authored several peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, encyclopedia entry and commentaries in venues including the Lancet Global Health and British Medical Journal and he has been featured or interviewed by major academic journals such as Nature, Science and the Lancet. He has been invited as a guest/keynote speaker at several prestige organizations such as National Academy of Science, Institute of Medicine, American Academy of Pediatrics, New York Academy of Sciences, Physicians for Human Rights, Amnesty International, Global Health Council.
Kamiar Alaei earned his Medical Doctorate (MD) from Isfahan Medical University, his Master of Public Health (MPH) in epidemiology from Tehran Medical University – two of the top universities in Iran – his Master of Science in International Health from Harvard University with full scholarship, his second doctoral degree in Health Policy and Management from SUNY, University at Albany, and his Master of Studies in International Human Rights Law with scholarship from University of Oxford.
He was selected as one of the 21st century young leaders in Asia in 2008 by Asia Society. Among several awards, he received Heinz R. Pagels Human Rights of Scientists Award from the New York Academy of Science (2009), the Jonathan Mann Award for Global Health and Human Rights from the Global Health Council (2011), the Inaugural Award for Leadership in Health and Human Rights from PAHO/WHO (2011), the Inaugural Elizabeth Taylor Award in Recognition of Efforts to Advocate for Human Rights in the field of HIV from AMFAR (2012), and Ellis Island Medal of Honor by NECO (2015) for his significant contributions to the society.
- 2016 Physicians For Human Rights Gala
- Global Institute for Health and Human Rights Convenes 15 Nations
in Turkey to Address HIV-AIDS
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population - The Washington Post, April 16, 2014
- Doctors Kamiar and Arash Alaei on CNN's "Sanjay Gupta, MD"
- Iran sees dramatic rise in HIV infections - The Guardian, December 2, 2013
- Award for Alaei Brothers, HIV Advocates and Ex-Political Prisoners - PBS, July 24, 2012
- Sharon Stone presents award to Albany physicians - The Albany Times-Union, July 24, 2012
- University at Albany Honors AIDS Visionaries, Drs. Kamiar and Arash Alaei - November 28, 2011
Other Selected Major Media
- UAlbany Partners with Turkish Government on Developing Patient-Focused Drug Policies
- In Iran, a Brotherhood of Doctors and Patients - The New York Times, June 20, 2011
- Trailblazing HIV doctors jailed in Iran, CNN, August 8, 2011
- Fighting for HIV/AIDS patients in Iran, Global Post, July 26, 2011
- Kamiar Alaei, MSH Blog
- Iranian doctor works to free AIDS pioneer brother, USA Today, June 17, 2011
- Iran HIV specialist jailed for visiting US wins Nobel-prizewinners' support, The Guardian, August 2, 2011
- Even Behind Bars, HIV Physicians Continued Humanitarian Work, AMFAR, August 13, 2012
- Despite Iran's Oppressive Regime, These People Fight On, Huffington Post, July 25, 2012
- WorldBrief with @ASE, HUFFPOST LIVE
Other Selected Major Media
- Hossein Raeesi, Mahnaz Parakand, Kamiar Alaei, *Nakissa Jahanbani. Interviewing Victims and Witnesses in Iran. International developments and practices in investigative interviewing and interrogation, Volume 1: Victims and witnesses, In, Dave Walsh, Gavin Oxburgh, Allison Redlich, Trond Myklebust, Contemporary developments and practices in investigative interviewing and interrogation: International perspectives. Routledge, UK. 2015
- Nargess Tavassolian, Mohammad Hedayati-Kakhki, Alexandra Harrington, Kamiar Alaei. Iran – The Interrogating of Suspects: International developments and practices in investigative interviewing and interrogation, Volume 2: Suspected Offenders, In, Dave Walsh, Gavin Oxburgh, Allison Redlich, Trond Myklebust, Contemporary developments and practices in investigative interviewing and interrogation: International perspectives. Routledge, UK. 2015
- M.R.Sayedi.; K.Alaei; A.Alaei; etal. The status of HIV infection in IDUs from Kermanshah. In, Medical, Health and social aspects of HIV/AIDS. Book. Bahman. May 2003.220-227.
- M.R.Sayedi.;K.Alaei;A.Alaei;et al. The role of youth in control of HIV/AIDS and Drug Use. In, Medical, Health and Social aspects of HIV/AIDS. Book. Bahman. May 2003.220-227.
Peer Reviewed Articles:
- Mutlu, E., Alaei, A., Tracy, M., Waye, K., Kemal Cetin, M., Alaei, K. Correlates of drug use among individuals admitted to public and private treatment facilities in Turkey. Journal of Drug and Alcohol Dependence. May 2016, Volume 162 (In Press)
- Alaei A; Alaei K.; Fox A. Strengthening US–Iranian relations through public health
- Alaei A; Alaei K. Drug users need more choices at addiction treatment facilities. British Medical Journal (BMJ). 22 March 2013;346:f1520
- Alaei A; Alaei K. Health Diplomacy, a case study: An AIDS Prevention and Treatment Initiative in the Middle East. Global Health and Diplomacy. Sept. 2012 p 40-43.
- Alaei K; Alaei A. HIV/AIDS and Addiction in Iran. From a long time denial to breaking the silence. Johns Hopkins undergraduate public health research journal Epidemic Proportions. Jan.2007.
- Alaei K; Alaei A; Mansoori D. Reduction of clinical Tuberculosis in HIV infected males with Isoniazid prophylaxis .Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal (EMHJ) Nov. 2002.Vol8; 6:754-757.
- Alaei K; Mansoori D; Alaei A. Thrombocytopenia in HIV infected patients, Islamic Republic of Iran.Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal EMHJ Nov.2002.Vol8;6:758-764.
- Alaei K.; Alaei A.; Mansoori D.; Shoshani B. Depression and anxiety in HIV-infected patients submitted to HIVIIDU Counseling & Care Center of Kermanshah province during April 2002.Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Volume 55, Number 2, August 2003, pp. 156.
- Alaei K; Mansoori D; Alaei A. The response to HBV Vaccine in HIV infected patients .J of Archives of Iranian Medicine. Oct. 2003.Vol.6; No.4:20-25.
- Mansoori S.D; Zadsar M; Alaei K; et al. Immunological and clinical feathers of HIV in a group of hospitalized Iranian patients .J of Archives of Iranian Medicine sciences.Autumn2003.Vol.5; No.4:10-15.
- K.Alaei; D.Mansoori; A.Alaei. Study on the prevalence rate of clinical Tuberculosis in HIV infected patients in Kermanshah1997-2000.Nameh Daneshgah .J Mazandaran UMS.Sept 2002.12(35): 20-28.
- Alaei K; Mansoori D; Alaei A .The efficacy of HBV Vaccine in HIV infected patients .J Babol university of medical sciences.Autumn2003.Vol.5;No.4:10-15.
- Alaei K; Mansoori D; Alaei A. The efficacy of INH prophylaxis in reduction of active Tuberculosis in HIV infected cases. Tanaffos (Respiration) J. Summer 2003.Vol.2; No.2:21-27.
- Mansoori D; Alaei K; Alaei A. The prevalence rate of Tuberculosis in HIV infected patients of Kermanshah province. Tanaffos (Respiration) J. Winter 2003.Vol.2; No.1:10-17.
- Mansoori D; Alaei K; AlaeiA. The prevalence rate of Thrombocytopenia in HIV infected patients. Hakim Research J. Spring 2003.Vol.6; No.1:12-16